DLNA Mythtv and Streaming

First, has anyone used mythtv as a dlna server?  If so, How’d it work out for you?  What are the pros and cons?

Second, has anyone used a dlna server to  stream video to the wdtv live over dlna?  By stream I mean either live tv from a mythtv like setup, or netflix and hulu in a playon or tversity like set up.

Thanks.

Hello, I haven’t use it my self but maybe some of the other users can chime in and share the knowledge. 

My primary DLNA server is Serviio.  The MythTV server is enabled and I recently set up the Plex server.  I’ve been using Serviio pretty much since I bought Gen3 and I haven’t had any problems streaming things.  In fact, I bought one to get around the Cinavia nonsense on my PS3.

Although, I do experience issues when streaming content that was recorded using MythTV.  Shows take about 10 seconds to start and, at times, the FF/RW/Skip to Time functions don’t work and cause crazy behavior.  Over a year ago, the issue was logged, but WD closed it out without offering a fix.  The 10-sec delay is consistent for every show, but the other stuff doesn’t happen all the time.  I’ve lived with it, but it would be nice if the issue was finally resolved.

angyii wrote:

… Second, has anyone used a dlna server to  stream video to the wdtv live over dlna?  By stream I mean either live tv from a mythtv like setup, or netflix and hulu in a playon or tversity like set up.

Yes. I use both Plex and Playon. I use Playon to stream both Inernet channels and local media, and Plex to stream local media, all over DLNA. I have no issues with either of the products. Can’t speak for using MythTv, but if it streams over DLNA, you should be able to access it fine under Media Servers on your Live+

-P