Connecting My Book Essential 2TB external Hard drive with WDTV Live

I want to buy a My Book Essential 2TB external Hard drive with USB interface & to connect it to My WDTV Live media Player for storing my media files & then playing it on my HDTV. I want to know if it can be connected directly to the media player or it have to be formatted or partitioned first using a PC. If not then connecting directly through USB port of media player will play the files or not ? Another thing is if I connect that 2TB hard drive to the media player in one USB port & another pendrive in other USB port, then can I transfer files from pendrive to the externel hard drive or not. I mean both the drives will show or not & can I do copy,paste etc through my WDTV media player from one dive to the other. Please Reply.

hi there

Did you mean : hd drives  “in both”  of usb ports of Media Player    and    “no connection to any PC”   [to navigate those drives from PC] ?

Yes - then - you can copy and paste - on screen of your Media Player - may I say so [with no PC]  see page 135 “file management”

regards

pawson

Thanks Pawson for your quick reply…Yes I mean two drives on the two USB ports of media player.One is mybook essential 2TB & other one is another drive such as pendrive etc,Can u be clear if no PC is required for setting up my external hard drive(i.e mybook essential 2TB). It will work as a plug & play device which will start working just after i connect it to my media player ?

hi there

• simple as it sounds

• no need for any PC [subject to : those two drives plugged into two separated usb port of the same WD MEDIA PLAYER]

• I have passport 1TB and 3TB BOok - did copied that waty [as you wish - that is “with no PC however”  ] - seems ok - you can watch/observe the process on screen - but be careful with really huge files ]

• no   “special pc connection”  before the above

•  check however the drives are ntfs and both “visible” via USB [as usb1 and usb2] on screen of your tv

• check the page of your hand-out / user - guied - as I mentioned before

regards

pawson

Thanks Pawson for your help…