Comparison between WD Live Plus and WD Live Hub

I am interested in buying the Live Plus, but I want to know why the Live Hub could be better.

At the moment I know that the Hub has one more USB port and a built in HD.

I have the doubt about the Ethernet adapter on the Plus. The Hub Ethernet Adapter is a Gigabit one, Plus one is only 10/100?

Any thought you have about this dilemma will be appreciated.

thanks

Anandtech Review

and

AVSforum post

both have quite a bit of info on the differences.

They are pretty similar and use the same Sigma chipset. There are a few differences that I can think of. The Hub has a different user interface, you can have movie sheets, customizable user themes, iTunes, and DLNA server built in.

As far as the gigabit ethernet, that is nice to have but the 10/100 Live Plus interface does not limit you at all. There are not any video sources that have a bitrate that the 10/100 interface will not handle easily.

Also, be aware that transferring movies over the network to the Hub can be a very slow process (same thing for the Live Plus).

About the 10/100 limitation, yes, it is limitating, some movies I have transferred over the network to my PS3 with PS3 Media Server, when has a big bitrate, the movie lags a lot and sometimes gives an error…

Which is the advantage of having a DLNA server built in?

putuco wrote:

About the 10/100 limitation, yes, it is limitating, some movies I have transferred over the network to my PS3 with PS3 Media Server, when has a big bitrate, the movie lags a lot and sometimes gives an error…

That may be true with the PS3, but it is not a problem with the Live Plus. I do not see that problem at all. I have been on this board for a while now and I have read similar comments from a lot of users.

If you have other devices that are DLNA compatible, then you will be able to stream to them from the Hub.

One additional question: I have a lot of ripped DVDs on my PC, which are folders with the “video_ts” structure. Does the Live Plus play those DVDs like if them are in ISO format?

Also thanks about the info on ther 10/100 network… good info to know!

Yes, you can play the movies directly from the VIDEO_TS folder, and you can also play them in ISO format. In either case, you have full DVD navigation, just like a stand-alone DVD player.

Awesome, looks like the Live Plus is everything I need. Thanks for the info and if I have any other question, I will post it

I just noticed an error in your first post. The Live Plus has 2 USB ports.

I was ready to ask about that. So, then it has 2 USB ports. Thanks for the clarification…