Occasional Advisor
thomashton

Can I hook up a USB hub to my TV Live?

I have the best success running everything off of USB2 HHDs. Can I hook up a 4 port USB2 hub to one USB port and then expand my ability to attach external drives. I currently have a 1tb and 2tb drive attached, have another 1tb full and need more room.

Respected Contributor
neutro

Re: Can I hook up a USB hub to my TV Live?

That's actually a good question. I can't see why it couldn't, but then again maybe the user interface won't be able to show the third, fourth, and so on connected drives. Anybody tried this?

Occasional Advisor
thomashton

Bumping up. Nobody has tried this? I would like to but don't have a hub handy. Don't really want to buy one if it won't work. Anyone want to give it a shot?

Advisor
Wildcat

Direct Quote from The WD TV Live  overview page

"Collect without limits - There's no limit to the size of your media collection; just add more USB drives for more space."

But I'm not sure how this would actually work without a hub

it was suggested here in the Ideas Lab

http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/ideapage/blog-id/idea/article-id/361

Occasional Visitor
4phun

NO

WD clearly states at the bottom of one of the WD LIVE user manual pages that WD Live USB ports do not support hubs.

WD should know, it is their product.

Occasional Visitor
DarkMic

Works great... chained hubs with any combo of drives (thumb/disk etc) work too.

Advisor
extrememc

Personal I am in to cutting the cord. Go wiireless with a G or N router and adapter. Then steam them from a desktop via network share. Save energy and enjoy your media. A win win!!!!!

Established Member
odam2k

I just tried using a hub, and it does not work...   it only sees USB1 and USB2, the two ports on the box, and if I plug two drives into a hub, it sees one of them as USB1 or USB2 depending which port I plug the hub into...

Super Advisor
brucered

extrememc wrote:

Personal I am in to cutting the cord. Go wiireless with a G or N router and adapter. Then steam them from a desktop via network share. Save energy and enjoy your media. A win win!!!!!

i like my cord.  $5 for a 50-60' cat5 cable or whatever it was and it goes under the floorboard in the basement, up the wall, thru the ceiling and down to my pc.  can't see it, it's reliable and cheap.

Occasional Advisor
Democritus

For the record, I still have my WDTV, and the 7TB of drives referred to in the link above, but unplugging/plugging them is a pain an sharing from a server sucks via USB...  USB Hubs used to work before updates on the old version...

It could be a magnificent piece of technology if it weren't so limited.

Waiting.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD