Audio output quality, type of used DAC in WDTV Live HD?

Apple64 wrote:

Hello

I have a problem which is bugging me a lot. I have been searching for some information about the audio output quality. Here, on the Knowledge Base I found that WDTV HD Players are limited to 16/44.1 quality due to hardware limitation, which is really bad. I would expect at least 24/48 quality because this device has HD in it name. 24/48 quality is a standard for HD content in my opinion.

But I did some googleling and I am quite confused right now because I do not know what is right and what is not. So I would like to ask if WDTV Live HD Player really has only 16/44.1 audio output or if it is already fixed and output is 24/48? I have also tried to find a DAC, which is used in WDTV but with no success. It would be nice if someone knew that. But this is not so important.

Thanks in advance   

Welcome to the forums.

In the first place, if you want surround sound then you are going to pass through the audio digitally either via HDMI or optical and then the quality of the sound discussions are moot, since the sound isn’t decoded by the Live at all but by your decoding device (AVR in most cases).  It will be as good as the audio track is itself.