Audio Distortion --- PLEASE HELP

Hey guys, I registered just so I could get some help with this. It’s really been bothering me and I belive its something in the chain (possibly the WDTV Live after reading how many “audio distortion”, etc claims there are with the WDTV-Live).

During certain movies I’ll get some distortion through my center channel TWEETER…usually when someone is speaking. When that person speaks during other parts, it might or might not happen. So it’s not the characters voice, it’s just certains parts of certain movies. I’ve tried it using my my FL speaker, my FR speaker and I’ve also tried it using various EQ (MultEQ XT, w/o MultEQ XT, etc) throught my Denon…it’s happens no matter what. The sounds is like a crackling/distortion/stratchy sound (faint…but definitely audible from even 12 feet away at the main listening position).

It’s happened in parts of Black Hawk Down, other movies I can’t seem to remember right now…and I just downloaded Battle:Los Angeles (.mkv torrent) and in the beginning where he finishes running on the beach and starts to ice his knee, a black guy says something and during the entire passage he’s speaking…it’s distortion through the tweeter.

Is there anything I should do, check, try, etc?? I wish I had a blu-ray player so I could try it to see if it’s the movie or the playback. Either way…it’s happened multiple times in various movies.

Please Help!! Thanks :smiley:

This sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Re-do all the connections to your speakers; on the speakers and their source.  If this doesn’t help, then re-do any other connections in the chain.  Do all this with power off.

Where did you read about all these “audio distortion” claims?

richUK wrote:
Where did you read about all these “audio distortion” claims?

Good question, Rich.

He must have “googled” for it  :wink:

Listen up newbies , (and the OP is one of them).  Do not believe everything you read about “problems” with any sort of equipment.  Do what this person has done, and find out from the “fan base” (such as a forum like this one) if there is any truth to the story.

There is zero truth to any claim that the WD media players have an “audio distortion” problem!  If they did, do you think we would be using the darn things ourselves, or even hang out here?!  Duh!   Believe me; these rumors are put forth by other “newbies” (and others) who want to blame all their problems on the equipment, and not their sloppy set up.  You have come to the right place for answers.

To the OP:  your problems are not caused by the WD unit (unless it was DOA and broken out of the box,) or sometime later it broke.  But it does not inherently have audio distortion! 

Your audio problems are most likely from elsewhere, so the detective job you have in front of you is to find out where it is coming from.

Thx for the replies

I’ll reconnect everything and see what happens. Most of these are over 8gb or so (upwards of 12gb on some) .MKV files. They don’t have the “HD Audio” tracks, but they do have DTS/DD, etc so they should be pretty clean audio tracks (judging by the bitrate,etc). I know they won’t be blu-ray/DTS-HD/etc quality, but this distortion problem has really bothered me. Hopefully I can get it figured out as I love how this player can play .mkv/FLAC, etc without needing to convert. It plays EVERYTHING! Love it for that

I’ll report back with what I find