Another network shares / password problem

I have a WDTV Live which I have not used in some time. I took it out again and I’m having problems getting it to see any of the files on my shared folders on my Windows 8 PC. I know the shared folders works fine as I can acces the files using other computers, and I added a new laptop (Win7) yesterday, it found the shared folders immediately with no passwords.

I remember I had this problem when I first got it but I have no idea how I fixed it,  I think I put on different firmware. Anyway I have been searching and there are hundreds of threads with many diferent explanations to fix it, none of which i have tried have made any difference.

Currently its asking me for a username and password. I’m not sure what that would be as my other laptop did not need it. Where in windows do I find this?

Can anyone point me to a link with a known fix for this problem?

Hello, see if the following KB article helps. 

How to share a folder in Windows that can be viewed with the WD TV Live, Live Streaming, Live Hub, o… 

If the problem continues you can try disabling password protected sharing. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings and turn off password protected sharing. 

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I tred that but still no joy. I use Windows 8 which is a bit different to the Windows 7 instructions. I’ve tried all the different configurations, I can get into network shares and see ym computer name but then I click on it I just get a message saying “The netowkr share cannot be accessed”

Any you suggest anything else I can try?

Thanks

Hi again, see if the steps below help. let me know if the problem continues. 

1-Open This PC by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you’re using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering This PC in the search box, and then tapping or clicking This PC.

2-Browse to the item, select it, and then tap or click the Share tab.

The Share tab

3-Choose an option in the Share with group. There are different Share with options depending on whether your PC is connected to a network and what kind of network it is.

To share a file or folder with a particular person, choose that person’s account.

To share with all the members of your homegroup, choose one of the Homegroup options. To select folders to share with all the members of your homegroup, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.) Tap or click Network, and then tap or clickHomeGroup.

If you need to share a location such as a drive or system folder, use the Advanced security option.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/share-files-folders

1 Like

Thanks Ichigo. Unfortunately I stuill can;t get it to work. My other pc’s on the network can see everything fine. 

Can you point me to exactlly where I can download the most up to date firmware for my WDTV Live? I want to put it on a usb and flash it again as I had different 3rd party firmwarew on there before. Thanks

You can download them from the following links. Hope this works. :wink:

WDTV Live

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live

WDTV Live Plus

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_liveplus

1 Like

Ok I Solved it! Not too sure exactly how but here is what I did:

So I downloaded the latest URL=" [http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showforum=115"]official firmware[/URL] and installed it. Did not make too much difference. On a different thread I read about going to a new unshared folder, going to properties and sharing, share and allowed it to ‘everyone’.

Restated the box, my computer name did not show up. Waited a minute and tried again - now it works!

So relived. Thanks everyone for your help.