AV Out will not work correctly on WDTV Live

Before posting this, I flipped through numerous other threads that invariably suggested hooking it up to a TV with an HDMI port or checking connections - I dont have an HDMI TV so thats not an option.

So here we go:

I got a WDTV Live from my inlaws this weekend (they got it from Costco) after they came to the conclusion that I would use it more than they would.

I took it home, hooked it up using the AV Out plug and the supplied cable and got a “snowy” rolling black and white image. (  http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/VSUReaper/misc%20pics/photo1_zps8bb1e962.jpg )

Thinking that I had a loose conection or a bad port on the TV (it is getting on in years now), I switched from the back composite cables to the front composite cables, but to no avail. I’m still getting the same issue. I also flipped the old Xbox on and its working perfectly fine.

Several of the other threads I have been looking at suggested that there are loose cables or that I had plugged it into the wrong plug on the back of the unit or the TV… Pretty sure I got it right…

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/VSUReaper/misc%20pics/photo3_zpsf204a66d.jpg ) and (  http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/VSUReaper/misc%20pics/photo2_zps77de6e2f.jpg ).

I have also held the reset button on the bottom of the unit down for about 15 seconds to see if that would change anything - it did not.

So to recap:

Connections are correct and firmly seated

Reset button has been attempted

Hooking up to an HDMI enabled TV is not really an option

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do other than driving an hour away to test it on my inlaw’s tv?

I have also held the reset button on the bottom of the unit down for about 15 seconds to see if that would change anything - it did not.

Bad idea – it did change something.  The reset button has two functions.  If you hold it in for one second the player reboots and returns all settings to the factory default.  (You can also do this with the remote).

If you hold the button in for 10 seconds or more you change the player from US (NTSC) to Europe (PAL) video format.  If you live in US, you changed it to Europe.  Now, assuming you did this only once, do it again for 10 seconds and return it back the way it was.  Hopefully, things will improve.  Go ahead and reset to factory defaults for the one second press.

Now, since you found the WD forum website, go find the support section at www.wdc.com , find your player model and download the complete user guide – you’re gonna need it.

As has been said it looks like the player is set to the wrong TV standard. You need to change it to PAL or NTSC depending on where you live. If you go to the setup page for video you can change it directly without resorting to the reset switch, you should be able to see it even with your current problem. Out of interest and for future reference you have a Live Streaming player gen3, this part of the forum is for the older live and live plus.
If you do use the reset button then don’t forget to hold in the button for at least 10 seconds, with the player fully booted up, and then release it

Make sure the cable is actually in the AV OUT port, not the YPbPr port.   It’s easy to get them confused.

@ Tony  I dont have the big fancy one with the extra ports (assuming there are extra ones) - just a USB, power, HDMI, and the AV Out port.

What it turned out to be was that it did somehow get into PAL mode - took it to a Future Shop and they let me hook it into a display TV so I could change the settings.

Now I have to figure out how to get my NAS drive to show up with all of the files.

Edit: Sorry if that response comes off as snarky - not intended!!!

for future reference Bulliwyfthetank you have a WDTV Live SMP (you’re posting in the wrong forum)

Try here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media/ct-p/wdtvlive_streaming

The WDTV Live and Live Plus (which is the older device) have different rear connections: eg

Ah, I see - sorry for the confusion on where to post.