720p resolution not filling screen on 1366 x 768 TV

I am using the WD TV Live (gen 1) and sending the audio/video from the WD TV to my AV Receiver via HDMI as you can do for any AV equipment.  Then I have an HDMI cable that runs from the Receiver to the TV.  Standard stuff.

When I put the receiver on the right AV channel and turn on the WD TV, I get no picture.  But if I switch the TV to a different input and then back to the HDMI input, then I see the picture.  So there is a handshake issue there but I can live with changing the TV channel up and down. My TV’s resolution is 1366 x 768.

But the WD TV Live resolution is always resetting itself to 720p with a green screen.  I have to go into video settings and set Color Space to RGB High. Then the picture color is fine, but the screen is only using 1024x720 pixels, not the full 1366 x 768 of my screen.  There are black bars all around.  Setting resolution to Auto does not work. I am using the latest firmware too.

1. How can I get the WD TV to use the full screen?
  2. How can I get the WD TV to remember the video settings? 

Thanks

Hello,

Do you have the aspect ratio set to 4:3 or 16:9

Check on page 129 of the user manual

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705043.pdf

Have you connecting the media player directly to the TV? Please let us know what happens.

Yes I have the aspect ratio correctly set to 16:9.

I have progress. I set the video resolution to 1080i 50hz and Color Space to RGB High and I get a correct picture filling the whole screen.  When when I change AV channels via either the TV or AV Receiver, the screen looses the Color Space and is set back to Auto with a green tinged screen.  Same result if I connect via HDMI into the receiver, or directly into the TV.

So the main problems is the WD TV Live not remembering the video settings when i re-establishes a HDMI handshake with the TV.  Is there a solution?

This is actually a TV?   Given all of your descriptions, it sounds more like a computer monitor.

I’ve never seen a TV require RGB colorspace.   TVs are usually YCbCr colorspace, not RGB.   But most TVs will accept RGB just fine.   Your “tv” appears to have an issue with YCbCr colorspace.

Also not seen many TVs with a native resolution of 1366x768.

But both are very common on computer monitors.

I once had a Sony 40" with 1366x768

Yes, it is actually a TV.  It’s a 6 year old Philips plasma TV with resolution 1366x768.  I don’t understand what Color Space does, but maybe I will try YCbCr and see if that is persisted when turning on/off or changing AV channels

RGB means that the “bits” being sent by the source are to be interpreted as one set of 8 bits each for each of Red / Green / Blue colors.  Given those bits, the display can render ~16 million unique colors (in a perfect world.)

YCbCr means that the bits being sent are to be interpreted as on set of 8 bits each representing Y-Luminance (brightness), Cb- Blue Difference, and Cr- Red Difference.

They’re each methods of telling the TV what color to put on the pixel based on the 24-bit value sent.

But they’re different methods.   If the TV is expecting to see YCbCr but is receiving RGB data, then it will display a washed-out pinkish (actually magenta) display.

If they TV is expecting to see RGB is but is receiving YCbCr colorspace, then it will display a washed-out green display.

(Might have those two backwards, but the effect is plainly seen.)

1 Like