480i over Component?

I received a reply from WD support today saying that the WD TV LIVE does output  576i from component.

Would someone please confirm this?

I actually had asked WD support about the  WD TV LIVE PLUS but the reply was only about the  WD TV LIVE.

I currently own a WD TV HD. Although it has no component socket as standard, it has internal provision for component video connection. It does output 576i via this component connection.

I want to upgrade to the WD TV LIVE PLUS but I need to be certain that it will output 576i/component.

My CRT TV will accept 576p, but it causes the picture to flicker too much.

The Plus and the Live are functionality equivilent except for Netflix.

I dont think this problem is due to a hardware limitation. I just need someone with a LIVE PLUS to check to see if 576i/component can be selected or not.

This is the reply I received from WD support. I am not certain what to believe.

Dear xavier,

[deleted for privacy]

The WD TV Live media player does support 576i resolution for component output, please see page 8 of the user manual provided in the following if you need any written confirmation of this: http://www.wdc.com/WDProducts/Library/UM/ENG/4779-705035.pdf
[deleted for privacy]

OK the WDTV LIve and the WDTV Live are functionally the same except for Netflix.

On the WDTV Live component setup page you can only select:

480p 60Hz

576p 50Hz

720p 50Hz

720p 60Hz

1080i 50Hz

1080i 60Hz

The WD adviser is making reference to a page that is not specific to component. Yes the WDTV can support 480i and 576i but only it seems on the composite output. (as both these resolutions are the standard for either NTSC or PAL).

Hope this answers your question.

1 Like

This is silly. If the manual states that the WD TV Live supports 480i, it means it should be supported. It doesn’t matter if the support comes from composite or the support comes from component. Otherwise, the manual would state that 480i is only supported via composite.

This, in turn, would result in some very studious user to sue WD for breach of contract or false representation. Either future manuals should be changed or the firmware should be changed to reflect 480i is only supported via composite. In the meantime, should any TV be harmed by the improper wording in the manual, then it would go without saying a class-action lawsuit could ensue.

Jackster wrote:

This is silly. If the manual states that the WD TV Live supports 480i, it means it should be supported. It doesn’t matter if the support comes from composite or the support comes from component. Otherwise, the manual would state that 480i is only supported via composite.

This, in turn, would result in some very studious user to sue WD for breach of contract or false representation. Either future manuals should be changed or the firmware should be changed to reflect 480i is only supported via composite. In the meantime, should any TV be harmed by the improper wording in the manual, then it would go without saying a class-action lawsuit could ensue.

This is what the manual says:

Video output resolution includes 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

HDMI Best (up to 1080p) Specialized, high-definition connector

Component Better (up to 1080i)

Composite Good (480i/576i)

I think you would need a good lawyer to argue over this one. It does not mention anywhere that 480i and 576i are supported by component and therefore nothing false is being represented. Its people who are assuming things without checking. I cannot see how a TV is actually harmed by this but it all sounds good and scary.

I recenty received another repy from WD support

“I cannot assure it will be added on a future firmware update, but the company is receiving a lot of requests, is possible that the engineers will take it into consideration”

Hope yet remains.

1 Like

Let’s keep our fingers crossed.  I kudoed the original post.

1 Like

Oh well, 480i is not in the latest 1.03.39B firmware.

I just got the WDTV Live+, I was very disappointed that it doesn’t have 480i.  I too hope future release will bring 480i.

1 Like

The crazy thing is that my old WD TV is able to output 576i/component although it does not have component sockets fitted as standard.

With my television monitor, there was a very noticable PQ improvement by going from composite to component from the WD TV.

1 Like

The trouble is that per your quote the manual is grossly misleading at best:

HDMI Best (up to 1080p) Specialized, high-definition connector

Component Better (up to 1080i)

Up to 1080i implicitly indicates that the device will output 480i/576i since these are at a lower resolution than 1080i.

In either case, it should be a simple software fix that will take longer to create the menus for than to implement the actual functionality.

1 Like

Who knows…  It’s quite possible that the Sigma doesn’t support it, in which case no amount of firmware will make it happen…  But that’s just a theory.

1 Like

There is not enough of us for WD to care about fixing this problem. :cry:

1 Like

It is possible to set 480i mode for component with alternate firmware (may be with official too) … but 576i + PAL can’t set. :frowning:

And confirm - picture quality from component is better then composite (but i need 576i/PAL ; in 480i/NTSC wrong colors on my TV) .

WD must do some little trick with menu (just by edit some .xml)  and NTSC/PAL 480i/576i settings in global config. 

1 Like

Does anyone know if the new firmware fixes this?

No

I don’t think this a firmware issue.   I doubt the Sigma supports 480i at all.

“I doubt the Sigma supports 480i at all.”   What?  and who send the signal 480i to Composite?  And what mean menu items "480i 576i ,.,… 720i 720p… " in WD official firmware and specifications…?