24hz Stutter

Neither of these methods work, there is still random skips almost like its dropping frames.

Could be an improperly encoded file. You could upload 2 min sample so we can test it on our systems.

Thats what I thought at first but I checked numorous files and they all do the same thing, they all play fine if I watch through my PS3 or PC, just not through the WD TV.

I use MeGUI to encode to a 1080p DXVA compliant file with AC3 audio (changing to AAC makes no difference either) and use CRF 18.

Should this not play fine on the WD TV? 

Also, I’ve noticed that if I remux to m2ts like you said, the WD TV doesn’t seem to pick up the 24p frame rate, it just plays it in 60hz, the “auto match framerate” mode doesn’t seem to work with m2ts.

We’d need to see the Mediainfo text output on such a file to say if it’s compliant (which still could be a bad encode).

The match frame rate function doesn’t work on most versions. Try to set it manually

I use MeGUI to encode to a 1080p DXVA compliant file with AC3 audio (changing to AAC makes no difference either) and use CRF 18.

Should this not play fine on the WD TV? 

Likely incompatible with WDTV.  I would guess it is your encoder or method – no problems ever with 24 framerate on my end.  I don’t even think I ever heard of MeGUI mentioned here as an encoder.  Find a more common/popular encoder and try it.

MeGui is quite popular, as are Staxrip and RipBot264. I really don’t know why everyone’s so fond of Handbrake, probably cause it runs under Mac as well.

.I really don’t know why everyone’s so fond of Handbrake, probably cause it runs under Mac as well.

The more I use this program, and understand its settings, the more I use and like it to create my videos for tablets.  BTW, I use it on a Win7 PC.

Did you know you can create an mkv, mp4 with Handbrake directly from a DVD in your computer’s disc player without creating a decrypted ISO beforehand?  All you need to add is a VLC file called libdvdcss.

This link tells you how:   How to rip a DVD using Handbrake — Nets@Life

That’s exactly what I wouldn’t do because it puts too much strain on the drive. I always rip the main movie to HDD and encode from there.

Here is my mediainfo text file, any advice as to why it would keep dropping frames?

I have tried converting the audio to stereo at 192kbps but it makes no difference.

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 3.22 GiB
Duration : 1h 40mn
Overall bit rate : 4 567 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2014-02-22 20:58:30
Tagged date : UTC 2014-02-22 20:58:30

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 3 924 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 26.8 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 688 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.85:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.186
Stream size : 2.77 GiB (86%)
Writing library : x264 core 138 r2358 9e941d1
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=230 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=31250 / vbv_bufsize=31250 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Encoded date : UTC 2014-02-22 20:36:44
Tagged date : UTC 2014-02-22 21:02:50

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : ac-3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 462 MiB (14%)
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2014-02-22 21:02:09
Tagged date : UTC 2014-02-22 21:02:50

Techflaws wrote:

That’s exactly what I wouldn’t do because it puts too much strain on the drive. I always rip the main movie to HDD and encode from there.

What you suggest is what I usually do, but in some cases this is better if I do not want an ISO file.  Try it before you knock it.  The PC drive spins slowly as if playing a DVD.  It spins faster to rip it, plus the whole process of ripping and converting takes longer. and spins the HDD more instead.

I don’t see the difference between ripping to VOB files or ISOs, the speed is the same.

@OP

The Mediainfo output looks okay but I wasn’t aware AC3 was a supported audio codec for mp4 containers.

Yeah, I’ve tried both AC3 and AAC, it seems to make zero difference in the dropping of frames.

Apart from that though, this MP4 file should play fine in the WDTV right? It’s really bugging me watching movies with dropped frames. I think i’m gonna have to look for another media player.

TF>>>   but I wasn’t aware AC3 was a supported audio codec for mp4 containers.

See this from Handbrake Guide:  https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Encoders#Audio

BTW, i have no dropped frames at any frame rate whether I watch on TV or tablet.   I use the Handbrake iPad defaults to make m4v files for tablet and make just two changes: I select framerate “same a source” and audio bit rate to match bit rate of DVD by checking it with mediainfo or even VLC, although for tablet I don’t exceed 224bps  Most DVD’s seem to have a 192bps bit rate, but some can be higher or lower.

mike27oct wrote:

TF>>>   but I wasn’t aware AC3 was a supported audio codec for mp4 containers.

See this from Handbrake Guide:  https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Encoders#Audio

This lists codecs supported by Handbrake but not what codecs works with which container (nor would this mean any certain combination would be supported by standalones).

@OP

Like I said, you could upload a 2 min clip or so for use to test it on our players.

“I use MeGUI to encode to a 1080p DXVA compliant file with AC3 audio (changing to AAC makes no difference either) and use CRF 18. Should this not play fine on the WD TV?”

I have used MeGui exclusively for a couple of years and always produced good output for the WDTV Live. Like you I use the DXVA profile (on some films I resized to 1280x720p) using a quality of 20. There is a setting for the target playback device, I use the “iPhone 4s/5, iPad 3/4/mini, WDTV” for obvious resons…

As a test I dropped the crf to 22 just to see if the high bitrates were causing the issue but there was still stutter and frames dropping everywhere. The tv switches to 24hz mode but it keeps dropping frames. I’m going to try the settings the last post suggested as a last try and if it doesn’t work, this things going back to amazon.
As for posting a sample, surely it’s illegal for me to post copyrighted material?

As for posting a sample, surely it’s illegal for me to post copyrighted material?

Nope, it is OK to post small samples of copyright materal in reviews, etc. How could a movie reviewer post snippits of a movie in their TV review?   There are lots of things to worry about from Big Brother, but a 2-min sample of a video is not one of them, unless I completely underestimate Big Brother.

Of course it’s not illegal, it’s called fair use.