Theme Help

This is my first attempt at editing a theme, and I’m working on Alaska for the SMP. I know this is the HUB theme forum, but I doubt my questions would be very difficult to answer. So some help would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s a link to the theme -  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Alaska-Theme-for-WDTV-Live-Streaming-for-firmware-1-04-12/td-p/326387

1.) I’m trying to change the default Mochi backdrop. Desertwedge told me that the file is “RV_BG.png” but I’ve never been able to get that backdrop to display. The SMP always displays the default Mochi backdrop. Any ideas? I’ve actually got my own backdrop that I’m trying to display.

2.) How should I update my changes to this theme via the SMP? Currently I just delete the Alaska theme from my SMP, move my graphic edits to the “Alaska_1.zip” and re-up it to the SMP, but that’s very tedious and I’m sure there’s an easier way.

A: 1.) The default backdrop is actually “RV-BG.jpg” not “RV_BG.png”.  It’s a “-” not an “_” and “.jpg” not “.png”.

A: 2.) That’s about all you can do.  WD did not make it easy to change user installed themes on the SMP.

1 Like

Hi Tinwarble, thanks for the response! You are awesome!

Yeah, I took a look at your theming tips thread right after I made my post and noticed the error in the file name - http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/Some-tips-on-theming/td-p/144024/highlight/true

1.) As for making theme changes on the SMP - desertwedge had this to say, but I don’t understand what he means - perhaps you could clarify?

“To upload your changes, just make a zip of the files INSIDE the “alaska” folder. If you make a zip of the folder “alaska”, it will not work. Then just upload via the web interface. If all goes well it should give you a message that the upload was successful.”

I do not see any “alaska” folder inside “Alaska_1.zip” so *shrugs*

2.) Any idea on how I would create a dashboard select in XML for this theme?

3.) What XML file and text changes the positioning of the synopsis border and text?

4.) Do .png’s on the HUB cause the UI to respond in a sluggish manner? Also do you know of any nice .jpg cover box templates that would work with your mojo themes?

Thanks

1. Zip ALL the contents within the main ALASKA theme folder… but NOT the main ALASKA theme folder itself

There is no Alaska theme folder. There is only the Alaska.zip file that you upload through the web interface.

*confused*

If you extract the zip. Is it a single folder full of files and folders or is it all files and folders direct in the zip?
If its a single folder. Its wrong
If its a bunch of folders/files its right. Also can’t have compression on the zip(store)

If you unzip “Alaska_1.zip” you get an “image” folder a “screenshot” folder and all the XML’s 

OK well then you have the zip properly for the Streamer. That is all he was instructing in #1

Wondering if anyone might happen to know the .XML file name & text for the Alaska dashboard icon placements.

Fennec wrote:

Wondering if anyone might happen to know the .XML file name & text for the Alaska dashboard icon placements.

The file name is rv_home.xml.  The file just calls for there to be five icons shown.  The width of the icons (w=320) dictates their horizontal location on the screen.

Actually, that has nothing to do with the dashboard. The xml “rv_home.xml” is for the Home menu not the dashboard.

Alaska may not contain all the xml’s, so the dashboard xml may not be in it.  But to edit it, you’ll need “inc_dashboard_grid.xml”.  If it’s not in Alaska, you’ll need to copy it from the OSD to the Alaska theme then edit it.

Sorry for adding to the confusion.  I read to quickly and didn’t understand he wanted to modify the dashboard & thought he wanted to modify the home screen. The file Tinwarble has referenced is in the Alaska theme.

@Tinwarble, do you know how many files are in the “complete” OSD.  The version I had previously downloaded (for the SMP 1.04 firmware) has over 900 xml files & over 1200 image files.

I don’t know as I have never counted, but there are quite a few more than are in the GPL.

As I have said, the GPL  only has the Legacy theme and only has the images & xmls that it requires, the OSD has everything (at least up to 2.08) that is used to make up the default Mochi theme.  With themes, only the portion that’s modified needs to be in a theme, everything else will be made up by the Mochi theme.

Perhaps I was confused myself.

Is this not the dashboard? It is titled “home_screen.jpg”

So perhaps it’s the home screen, but I always refer to it as the dashboard for some reason.

I wanted to know the XML placement file/text for these icons so I could put a border around the current selected icon - which is always the middle icon.

Well, I can’t see your picture yet, but this is the dashboard:

If all your looking for is to put a board around the image, then you’ll need to alter the images, not the xml.  Besides, there is not a lot that you can do, xml wise, to alter the Home Menu.

Also, you should remember, if you mess up the “rv_home.xml”, it will put the HUB/SMP into infinite reboot, and it can be hard to recover from.  For SMP users, I don’t recommend experimenting with the Home Menu xml at all, becuase if you cause it to go into reboot you may never recover.

Anyway, the images to edit start with “main_” , such as “main_videos_icon_n.png”, like I said, if you don’t know what you are doing, edit the images, not the xml for the home menu.

1 Like

Yeah, pretty sure It’s the home screen now and not the dashboard.

It’s the screen with “videos” “games” “services” “pictures” etc

I was only curious to know the coordinates of the middle icon so I can draw an even border on the backdrop which will highlight the middle icon to show that it is selected. It’s difficult to guess in Photoshop! Wasn’t going to edit the XML, but It’s good to know that I should stay away from that XML hehe.

Thanks. 

@ Fennec

The Original Mochi Alaska Home Menu mod i created, does have an ’ outline’ around the center icon.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/New-Mochi-Alaska-Icon-Menu/td-p/246346

It was a faint blue color… as seen in the picture link above. 

desertwedgie erased the image in his mod  ( setup_icon_000.png is now a blank image)

but he left the code intact in the rv_home.xml  (  )

P.S.

The term “Dashboard”  is used to describe a “Home Screen” typically for gaming consoles eg. PS3,XB360

On WD Devices the “Home Screen” is the Home Screen.

So if he left the code intact in the rv_home.xml then all I need to do is grab your image from your theme - color it whatever I want and throw it in the image section of Alaska_1.zip I imagine?

@Fennec

Yep