Genre Folders problem

Hi guys i was hoping someone might be able to explain something.

When displaying the different genres on firmware 2.0.7 the assigned pictures work perfect

Once i upgrade to the most current firmware some of the genre lables dissapear and i start to get

It seems to pick a picture from the folder and run with that, i dont even know how it chooses that photo.

So those photos are two different hubs running off the same nas, one displays correctly, one doesnt.

I have tried naming the pictures different things but i just cant seem to work it out

i hope i have explained it right, any help would be wonderful as this is annoying me

cheers

blame  *.metathumb  which was introduced on Firmwares after 2.07.17

*.metathumb   takes 1st priority over   *.jpg  

(eg. a folder.jpg is ignored in favour of the 1st *.metathumb found in a folder)

solution …  name your genre folder images  0.metathumb 

(delete your .thumb / .wd_tv folder and reboot to apply changes)

1 Like

Hi Joey, thanks for the help.

So close yet so far away, for some reason just one is left like it was, the movies folder. any ideas mate?

Never mind joey all sorted, your a star.  Thank you very much. 

I would like to ask one more question if you don’t mind. In the earlier firmware of 2.07 it seemed to cache the images of each movie, no matter how many there is, for example I have around 1200 in a folder and I could could scroll through and it would lead the images instantly, no waiting from page to page.  Now in current firmware it only remembers around 60 I believe then it forgets them and has to reload.  I have a feeling this only happens when it is connected to a mass but I can’t be sure.  What do you think? 

I really don’t like how cache works on Firmware’s higher than 2.07.17

• The cache has to build for every view (unlike as you state, 2.07.17 builds it for 1 view and remembers it for the rest)
  • When you change Themes… the cache has to start all over again for all views  (2.07.17 doesent do this)
  • When you make a simple theme edit (eg. change the thumbnail dimensions)… the cache has to start all over again for all views  (2.07.17 doesent do this)
  • When you go back to the Theme that was previously cached … it has to start re-caching everything all over again (2.07.17 doesent do this)
  • I even suspect 2.07.17 is drawing the thumbnails from the local files … why? well transparent png’s renamed to jpg don’t appear in the .thumb cache folder … yet they display fine
  • On Firmware 2.07.17 i change a thumbnail image and the new image appears in a couple of seconds… higher Firmware’s you have to delete the cache and let it rebuild to see the new image

ok so it looks like i am stuck with it if i choose to run latest firmware. I was happy running earlier firmware but now that it wont retirieve metadata it is becoming a pain in the **bleep**. I am running one on the latest and keeping my main on 2.07, one gets the metadata and transfers it to the nas and the other then sees it.

Thanks again for all your help joey, much appreciated

yes, my Live Hub no longer grabs metadata and thumbnails…

i have xbmc installed on my pc with the live hub added as a video source and xbmc grab the metadata then export the library and rename nfo to xml and resize the thumbnails. (i used to use thumbgen but it’s too slow… xbmc did about 450 movies in about half an hour)

1 Like

rename folder.jpg to !folder.jpg, add the !

then deletethe thumb folder and reboot device.

hello

i am very new to all of this. i also have xbmc installed.i can add the hub as a video source but do not know how to grab the metadata,library etc.how do i do this appreciate any assistance many thanks

regards

lionelK wrote:

hello

i am very new to all of this. i also have xbmc installed.i can add the hub as a video source but do not know how to grab the metadata,library etc.how do i do this appreciate any assistance many thanks

regards

If you’re trying to get XBMC to get the info from the Hub that’s probably not going to work as I think it’s totally different in the way it’s made for the Hub. But XBMC will see the movies stored on it and should create the files it needs for the cover art and backdrops. This really is a question for an XBMC forum if that’s what you are asking.