Copyright- A reminder

To One & All

Just Google ‘Copyright Laws’ and make you’re own decision upon your legal stance.

PS… A very good lawyer does not come cheap… No matter whether you are a defendant or plaintiff.

LOL

XBMC is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub for digital media. XBMC is available for Linux, OSX, and Windows. Created in 2003 by a group of like minded programmers, XBMC is a non-profit project run and developed by volunteers located around the world. More than 50 software developers have contributed to XBMC, and 100-plus translators have worked to expand its reach, making it available in more than 30 languages.

While XBMC functions very well as a standard media player application for your computer, it has been designed to be the perfect companion for your HTPC. Supporting an almost endless range of remote controls, and combined with its beautiful interface and powerful skinning engine, XBMC feels very natural to use from the couch and is the ideal solution for your home theater.

Currently XBMC can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: XBMC can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive, and even files inside ZIP and RAR archives. It will even scan all of your media and automatically create a personalized library complete with box covers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.

It is difficult to put into words all that XBMC can do, head to the gallery to see some examples, or take the plunge and Try it Today.

removed

Ok to clear something up here before another storm hits the fan.

If you put up something for free use but want to copyright it you need to put up a legal dmca statement saying so.

Otherwise trying to use dmca or the copy right angle after the fact is useless as no judge has ever backed it.

So any themes put up without that are considered public domain now and trying to tell people otherwise or they can’t post links is foolish.

Yes i know its seems unfair but this is how the law works in this case and hopefully you can ask peoplemin good faith not to use it because threats of dmca action or legal action after the fact have been acted on by the courts to the makers cost.

If asked i would respect thier wishs but dont try and use legal action as a method to stop people from using it you have no grounds to stand on.

For those posting who wish to copyright there creations all thats needed is a statement like this.

Licence Agreement: This content is protected by DMCA. (Digital Millennium Copyright Act Protection Services)

Magnus… sorry that is completely untrue. “Intelectual Property Rights” are always in place unless you give notice of free usage. I have copyrighted material on the internet since I am 17yo  and had to deal with stuff like that more than 100 times in my life.

To the OP, good lawyers aren’t cheap the question you should ask is who is going to pay the bill? Mediafire has a clear policy about privacy and infringement of any kind since the MegaUpload debacle. :slight_smile: It also comes in handy when you have a good lawyer in your family :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dev

All this may be true.

But I have to ask the question, what do you hope to acheive by taking down your Theme ? To me it’s like a peice of art its there to be admired. It is obvious to everyone it has not been created by WD, you could leave quite happily and I am sure other ops would share support after getting through issues setting up your theme.

I can’t see WD giving two hoots about you leaving or not, so why ?

Dev,

I have to agree with wdtvhub and love the art analogy. I feel very fortunate to have downloaded your latest version. I spent a week re-doing my movie/TV Sheets, got some great support from you in the process, and love what my HUB looks like due to your hard work. The integration with TG is amazing.

Only the folks in this community suffer without the availability of Black Mamba. WD isn’t harmed by this in the least. Why deprive the folks who have supported you of your final work? The more people that have your theme, with your signature and clearly identifiable graphic scheme on their TVs, and know that you no longer are coding for the HUB or participating in the community, the more the issue stays in the forefront. It showcases what could have been.

I completely understand why you have decided not to code for the HUB anymore. Makes total sense to me. But although I respect your decision, I don’t see what is accomplished by pulling your theme from a community of users.

A true thanks for everything you have contributed to this community

-P

…bummed I will never get to load BM 2.0.

For the most part you are correct but the problem without  anything your in a legal limbo and basicly up the creak.

With the ongoing state of the copyright laws in the states these days  you need disclamers.

Otherwise the system shall completely ignore 99 times out of a 100.

As for the likes of mediafire they would likely take it down to be safe but all are as agreeable.

That one line or the like removes all issues of who has the control/right to it.

My statement was ment to help and not as a attack as i beleive you should have control of what you created.

@wdtvhub

Whether WD care or DOES NOT CARE, is totally beside the point, DeVicious is entirely within her rights to withdraw HER OWN work from the community!

So please respect her wishes. X

PS.

BOLD IS GOOD!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Fine. But please stop comparing a software media player to the WD Live Hub, you may as well have a link for VLC media player. :slight_smile:

To those who asked…

please don’t assume I pulled my theme in order to hurt WD, in fact if things go right it will help them.

I pulled it in order to start a discussion about their policy’s in order for them to acknowledge our frustration.

God knows we asked nicely a lot, we made proposals, we made reasonable suggestions, we submitted bugs and none of these things ever got included or fixed.

When being nice doesn’t work you start to critisize and when that is ignored you start to ran.

The things is… who is going to support your suggestions and bug fixes when they get a fresh theme, with updates and support, work around and bug fixes with one click? That’s right… nobody.

Unfortunately we humans are a race that do not unite behind a cause unless something is happening to us or something is being taken away from us. I was hoping it would cause a discussion and the one it has started is a healthy one even with all the negative facettes towards me. If everyone would agree with me that would be wrong.

1 Like

Well it’s sure obvious they don’t listen to their “beta testers”.

Sometime, When you’re feeling important
    Sometime, When your ego’s in bloom
    Sometime, When you take it for granted
    That you’re the best qualified in the room

Sometime, When you feel that your going
    would leave an unfillable hole
    Just follow these simple instructions
    And see how it humbles your soul

Take a bucket and fill it with water
    Put your hand in it up to the wrist
    Pull it out and the hole that’s remaining
    Is the measure of how you’ll be missed.

The moral in this quaint example
    Is do just the best that you can
    Be proud of yourself but remember
    There’s no INDISPENSABLE Themer WOMAN or MAN.

Best Regards WD.

:smiley:

Iam not throuwing the baby out with the bath water just yet.

A bad firmware or two isn’t quite as bad as some may thing.

Try boxee of which iam a owner of one (ouch).

Turns out the beta firmware and complete lack of support over the last 7 months was because they gone on to a new box.

Want to get pissed try owning a box that had barely over a year support and all the firmwares bug ridden and beta in nature.

Then you get lied to and f- over so they can move on to new hardware and not bother to imformer the buyers so they can get rid of the old boxes.

Compare wd to that and i quite willing to give them alittle leway on a mistake or two in the firmware and a dumb comment on thier part.

There atleast putting firmwares out and comunacating with the people.

Think im giving up and going for a Diamond AMP1000 Android box.