Backdrops question

Is it enough to provide an overlay image for the gallery view to prevent the backdrops from actually loading or do we need to disable them from loading somewhere else? I know that they won’t show by just using an overlay but does that alone provide a perfomance benefit? Thanks…

Using the overlay only hides the rotating backdrops, they are still there you are just putting an image over them.

disabling is the way to go, they really slow down the Hub, not sure what WD was thinking

Thanks for the fast replies…now the obvious question …how do I disable them?

I think I found it…

do i just remove this line from the rv_gallery_browse_page.xml…

“<image image=”@@preview_rect_image" default_image=“@@default_preview_rect_image” x=“0” y=“0” w=“1280” h=“720” textcolor=“@@preview_rect_color” 

keycolor=“1” ignore_keycolor=“1” bg=“1” />"

I just turn off the feature in options of thumbgen when generating your movie sheet.

as pointed out by Jonkon this does the trick.

“<image image=”@@preview_rect_image" default_image=“@@default_preview_rect_image” x=“0” y=“0” w=“1280” h=“720” textcolor=“@@preview_rect_color” 

keycolor=“1” ignore_keycolor=“1” bg=“1” />"

Actually, i don’t think its backdrop who slows down the hub.

but big thumbnails…

Infact, the hub draws the same thumbnail twice, for the focused and unfocused ones…

That’s explains the slow down, the bigger your thumbnails are, the hub takes more time to display them, as it draw them twice.

the loading of backdrop slows down the navigation

when I navigate into the trickle view, the hub start to load a backdrop at a moment  and you have a lag

If you unvalidate the line “<image image=”@@preview_rect_image" def…" the lag disappears

Both are actually correct.  The more the HUB has to draw, the slower it gets. 

Each element is a layer and the more layers that you have the slower it gets.  Even getting rid of the “include” (deleteing the time & weather or the filter/sort, storage select, etc. icons) will gain a little speed.