Attention Themers FW Version 3.07.14

Just letting you know the new firmware is thoroughly screwing with the video run… in fact it is bypassing it and it get’s replaced with the mochi file. 6AM here and i don’t have the time or the mood to figure it out yet. So many basic things still not fixed but something that was working fine had to completely changed. Sigh!

cool, one less xml to work on and modify :smileyvery-happy:  

Just kidding…  this is a worrying sign.  What xml is next, to be un-modifiable ?

1 Like

Maybe it’s just a bug… will be fixed in 3.07.15  :)

WD have a history of introducing new bugs with each Firmware revision

On rare occasions the fix them (and in the process create new bugs)

On most occasions they ignore user reports/request and when time has passed you get this standard statement…

“Unless this has not been fixed with the current firmware, we will close this issue out due to its age.”

Basically, if they ignore a user reported bug long enough…  they issue the above statement.

1 Like

JoeySmyth wrote:

WD have a history of introducing new bugs with each Firmware revision

On rare occasions the fix them (and in the process create new bugs)

On most occasions they ignore user reports/request and when time has passed you get this standard statement…

“Unless this has not been fixed with the current firmware, we will close this issue out due to its age.”

Basically, if they ignore a user reported bug long enough…  they issue the above statement.

Actually, Joey, we are now tracking any issues that go from firmware to firmware.  The ones we got rid of were from older firmwares, and nobody responded when we posted our questions.  We also private messaged a lot of people.  So, that was my decision.  We’re trying to boil down the legitimate issues that we can track and push to get fixed.  The issue exchanges got a bit unruly. 

Also, for you all to know (I’m sounding like Tony, now), we most likely won’t waste time working on an issue that sits by itself without any confirmation from other users.  We will review it, because that’s already part of the process, but it probably won’t get any priority. So, if you all agree that something is an issue, please make sure to post your agreement to the issue in the issue exchange.  And if you have information to offer, post that as well.

@Bill_S:

On the defence, are you?

What about giving us some real answers.  You know what the problem is, but, you replied with arrogance and disdain.  There is no need for a request to be sent to any specified location, just give us some answers.  Something like: " WD values its current customers and will do everything in its effort to reslove the ‘video_run’ issue.  We made a mistake in not informing the community about  some changes that we’ve made.  And these changes have affected you, our valued customer.  Please be patient while we resolve this issue."  That’s how you treat customers you intend to keep.

1 Like

Bill_S wrote:

Actually, Joey, we are now tracking any issues that go from firmware to firmware.  The ones we got rid of were from older firmwares, and nobody responded when we posted our questions.  We also private messaged a lot of people.  So, that was my decision.  We’re trying to boil down the legitimate issues that we can track and push to get fixed.  The issue exchanges got a bit unruly. 

Also, for you all to know (I’m sounding like Tony, now), we most likely won’t waste time working on an issue that sits by itself without any confirmation from other users.  We will review it, because that’s already part of the process, but it probably won’t get any priority. So, if you all agree that something is an issue, please make sure to post your agreement to the issue in the issue exchange.  And if you have information to offer, post that as well.

Bill, with all due respect, and you know I value you as a moderator, this is not entirely correct. People stopped reporting issues because they have been deliberately ignored, the ones with the highest votes are still open. The library is still making no sense if it wasn’t for Thumbgen’s workaround with TV Shows but instead, since introducing this reporting system we got 30+ new webservices… not because they add value to our entertainment experience, because the service sends a cashiers check along with their boring program. One of them “MLB” must be so powerful that WD released a hotfix 24 hours later.

Now… where are our hotfixes? What is the point of destroying PNG functionality and what is the point to create a chache system based on compression on High Def devices? Whatever is introduced to us is a step back. The majority of your customers doesn’t care / doesn’t notice / doesn’t want to know because they do as they are told and have no opinion for themselves, Mochi is their heaven and they shall be in heaven because this is where good sheep go according to the bible.

I am sure Tinwarble, Joey and I we do have the same amount of people downloading our themes, and even when 30% of them are the same, 70% are not and i can only speak for myself but I have nearly 8,000 people being at least interested in my theme

Let’s do the math… 7500 - 30% x 3 = 15,000 People!!!
Are you sure the crappy web service that is responsible for bypassing our video-run.xml has the same customer binding effect as our themes? I highly doubt it because our work ends up on social media, you tube, other forums etc… and the better we work the more the Western Digital name gets noticed. The problem is WD rather puts their head in the sand and is deliberately destroying our work for no good reason.

I know it is your job to moderate here which also means to keep the emotions on a moderate level and I know for a fact that you, Bill are trying and that you are listening and while you could never admit that in this forum, they are screwing with your work just as they do with ours and I am sure to some extent it upsets you too. For that matter we should cut the “help me to help you Jerry Maguire BS” and start getting real. The Developers are being told by a Suit what to do and since the “Suit” can measure the checks from services and not the 117,000 hits on google for “WDTV Theme” because he is a dumb arrogant Suit we can provide you with details the Suit will never understand and for that matter there will always be a different priority other than ours. We are the people who know the device the best, apparently we are working based on direct feedback and we are the people who know what people want and when there is a voting system on issues and the top 2 topics get ignored for almost a year I know that every single word I have said  above is true and when you combine all that with the latest “upgrade” and the destruction of a perfectly fine video_run.xml then WE know things will never get better they only get worse and the Issue reporting system is officially a failure. Sorry for the effort, it doesn’t work!

6 Likes

just to reinforce Devicious comments and put it into perspective I am one of “those” customers she is referring to. I purchased the WDTV live because of the theme capability and having selected Devicious’s Black mamba Theme (no disresepct to the other themers who also do great work) I am still stunned at how much value is added to these boxes by the themers. make no mistake, the WDTV media player is fairly ordinary on its own (very simple) and has a lot of competition without the themes, but with the themes the WDTV live box is transformed into something amazing. 

I don’t use any of the services at all. But what has themeing done for WD ? As a result I bought 3 of these devices and I show everyone I know how amazing it is (and they are amazed!). i’m selling your boxes and I have no doubt all of the other WD themed owners are as well. All WD has to do is put a bit of effort into working with these themers and you will have a product without any competition. Also, they are not asking for much, the fixes/mods they want are not that big or difficult. Conclusion : you will sell more of these boxes from people wanting themes than people wanting services (in my opinion).

WD need to work with the themer community. Its a Win/Win situation for you.

maybe the used XML was changed to “video_run_buf.xml”. This file appeared in the 3.07.14 firmware and almost identical to video_run.xml (copy-paste developing ;)).

Just a wild guess though - don’t have a hub any more. information gathered by looking at the firmware changes.

diff of changed XML files in /osd available here:

http://pastebin.com/JxUjEinj

12 Likes

doubleO8 wrote:

maybe the used XML was changed to “video_run_buf.xml”. This file appeared in the 3.07.14 firmware and almost identical to video_run.xml (copy-paste developing ;)).

Just a wild guess though - don’t have a hub any more. information gathered by looking at the firmware changes.

diff of changed XML files in /osd available here:

http://pastebin.com/JxUjEinj

you are a friggin hero :heart::smiley:

rename video_run.xml to video_run_buf.xml …it works

great find… to bad the WD developers couldnt answer that

Good catch doubleO8 !

Any chance of posting a download link to a complete extracted 3.07.14 Firmware ?

Im Curious to see if there are any other differences.

1 Like

doubleO8… excellent detective work.

Devi, rather that just rename the file, why not copy it, so you have a both XML files, just on the off chance they go and rename it back on the next release.

1 Like

doubleO8 wrote:

• *This is a GREAT discovery! Thanks for finding it and Kudos should be given to doubleO8 by everyone who reads his post! If I could I would give him a very manly slap on the butt! Great find man!> Here’s something I noticed…doesn’t matter if it’s Black Mamba or Default theme and this is after renaming video_run.xml to include _buf. Play an avi file “Set To Desired Time” is not there at all. Play an mkv or mp4 and it is there but only after the initial show of the player has appeared. i.e. you have to hit OK button after movie player has cleared the screeen. I don’t know if it was happening prior to renaming the xml file or not.

JoeySmyth wrote:

Good catch doubleO8 !

Any chance of posting a download link to a complete extracted 3.07.14 Firmware ?

Im Curious to see if there are any other differences.

no way. redistributing firmware images or their contents may get you in legal trouble.

But you are probably free to download firmware images and use  this script to extract their contents.

Be warned: wdtv_firmware_extract.py needs python, binwalk and unsquashfs tools and is not suited for end users :slight_smile:

1 Like

@doubleO8

Sorry, i just meant the original “Mochi” part of it … you know, the images and the xml’s

Like Tinwarble has posted many times in the past on the forum. 

eg.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/ATTENTION-THEMERS-OSD-for-3-05-10/td-p/416820

1 Like

Great catch double08, many kudos to you.

And you can post the OSD portion of the firmware.  I don’t really have the time to do it as I have in the past.

@flhthemi,

Yes, that was already an issue, theme xmls don’t have anything to do with how the HUB/SMP operate and that is a FW issue.

Also, as I don’t have any avi’s I can’t say for sure, but it’s been reported that if you press the search button on the remote the “Skip to Desired Time” box will appear.  You can try it out and see if it works.

Kazgor wrote:

doubleO8… excellent detective work.

Devi, rather that just rename the file, why not copy it, so you have a both XML files, just on the off chance they go and rename it back on the next release.

duh! why i am so stupid? Yes of course… good advise!!!

removed my own answer :slight_smile:

That want help anyway, because in the next release it wil be:

video_run_buf_check_it_out_we_messed_your_theme_up_again_ha_ha_ha.xml

:wink: