Are There Standard Variables / Options when creating/modifying a Theme

I’m currently looking through some of the XML Code in files such as rv_gallery_browse_page.xml and seeing lots of @@ variables such as @@rv_browse_page_bg_0

Is there any resource which has standard variables documented in order to start modifying a theme? For instance, if I wanted to add a video file name to the bottom of the screen for a specific theme, where could I find resources pointing me to “it can” or “it can’t” be done? I know many of these things are firmware controlled, but is there any document showing what “things” I can do or use??

Example:

<image image=“@@metadata_left_arrow” x=“10” y=“650” w=“39” h=“53” align=“hcenter” scale_type=“fixratio” scale=“75” />

How do I know what options exist? i.e. align, scale_type. And, how can I find out possible valid values (fixratio, hcenter, etc).

Thanks in advance! And please excuse my newb-ness…

Scott

Is there any resource which has standard variables documented in order to start modifying a theme?

There was a basic one … but the link appears to be dead

http://wdtvlive.com/themes

For instance, if I wanted to add a video file name to the bottom of the screen for a specific theme, where could I find resources pointing me to “it can” or “it can’t” be done?

The following code “Tinwarble” found will display a ‘Video’ Title for Non Gallery Views

<text text=“@@focused_title” x=“138” y=“691” w=“1000” h=“18” fontsize=“18” textcolor=“0xffffff” align=“hcenter” speed=“1” delay=“1” />

but is there any document showing what “things” I can do or use??

Apart from the Basic Document WD provided in the Dead Link above and User Posts on this Forum… No

It’s a Journey of Discovery with lots of trial and error and lots of experimenting.

Example:

<image image=“@@metadata_left_arrow” x=“10” y=“650” w=“39” h=“53” align=“hcenter” scale_type=“fixratio” scale=“75” />

How do I know what options exist? i.e. align, scale_type. And, how can I find out possible valid values (fixratio, hcenter, etc).

Again, if you dont know… " experiment "  and observe any changes after changing variables.

Only 3 Things will happen with ‘Experimenting’

1. Nothing will Change

2. Something will Change

3. The Hub’s Interface will “Crash” and then you have wait until it Reboots to “Undo” the Change you made.

(Crashing the Hub by Modifying ‘Home’ XML’a requires pressing Remote Control ‘Setup’ Button to Boot back to Default Mochi Theme…  So Be Careful playing around with the Home Screen)

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I wish the link was still functioning!!! LOL. It would be nice if we could gather a repository for this stuff, and create our own “wiki” for it! Makes it a lot easier to jump in…

Also, a big Kudos to all the themers out there. You’re doing some great work, and making it possible for newbs like me to jump in and have something to start from. I’d love to know how you “theme pioneers” started doing this…

~Scott~

Vuunderboy wrote:

Thanks for the info. I wish the link was still functioning!!! LOL. It would be nice if we could gather a repository for this stuff, and create our own “wiki” for it! Makes it a lot easier to jump in…

~Scott~

yeah, me too.

Well, is there some download copy of http://wdtvlive.com/themes  ?

Why is the link offline, does anybody know ? Politics ?

WD is advertising the hub and SMP as “customizable” players …

so some docu from this side  should be self-evident. 

i have mentioned / questioned this before. why produce / sell something and advertise it as being customizable, without instruction / guidelines that themers can work with / to. The lack of interaction from WD is a joke.

now i understand it is a user forum, but how can the users have answers ? they didnt design this product. its like buying a modern day car, with no insruction manual. and having 50 unmarked buttons on the dashboard you have no idea what they do. and asking the salesman. and all he knows how to put fuel in it, and turn the lights and wipers on. But thankfully we have guys like joey and others who are prepared to sit and press those buttons. 

How long would it take for someone at WD who has a clue on the workings of the gui,  just to put down his cup of coffee and write a page on this forum outlining the rules / guidlines / commands to producing themes.  or better still produce theme generator. even if it was a template to work along side thumbgen. 

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Firmware/A-POLITE-REQUEST-FOR-AN-OFFICIAL-RESPONSE-FROM-WD/td-p/363095/page/3

From the above post. users did actually get a comment from a MOD regarding another issue which has been questioned / commented on / requested for over a year. if guidelines / templates were given on initial release of this product WD wouldnt  have the posts of frustated users that they have, or even lose loyal customers like myself. 

replys from a mod.

1) ** What I found is that we really only support jpegs - ( **a confident reply ?. )

2)   I think we are working on bringing out more documentation on doing themes ( another confident reply… you think ??? )

**3)  I mean, we already know that png’s work.  It’s just whether transparent png’s work.  Which if I’m understanding users correctly, they don’t.   **Has anyone tried using png’s at 1280 by 720?  Do they work correctly, as jpeg’s would?  I would start there.  ( from this comment, it seems to me that WD, are sitting in that seat pressing those buttons too,… but from the firmware releases they dont seems to be having much luck.  It’s just whether transparent png’s work.  Which if I’m understanding users correctly, they don’t., if you knew your product you would know they dont, and you wouldnt need lots of users over a year to tell you so.!!!   )

Are There Standard Variables / Options when creating/modifying a Theme ? the chances of you getting any of this info out of WD, you would have more chance of getting a juicy steak out of a lions mouth,. And the chances of these standard variables working in the next firmware release., would be the same chance of you getting out of that lion enclosure with that steak and your limbs still intact. 

2 Likes

I actually started going through the XML Files I am working with now, and putting in all @@variables I am coming across, where they’re located, and if I know what they do (or found out), am adding that as well.

I am also commenting the heck out of any XML files I modify (as I am going through line by line, making a change, and then seeing what effect this has on the WD TV Live Hub Display on my TV). Better to work with a file where everything in it is explained. I.E. The line below does XXXXXXX. Feel free to change it, since now you know what it does.

Once I get a bit further, I’ll start posting some of it. Apparently, the only way we’re going to be able to truely tweak this device, and have documentation on it, is to do it ourselves… 

~Scott~