Not connecting to DNS or Gateway?

I have an Actiontec GT704-WG DSL Gagteway that my WD TV Live will pick up the ip connection but not the DNS or Gateway when testing the connection. Wont let me access any services needless to say.

I called WD and they told me to contact my ISP (Frontier) to get correct numbers to enter, so I did and entered manually, still nothing, no connection.

Do I need a newer router/modem? I have had this one for years, I just want to be able to connect to net flix, lol. 

any help is appreciated here.

Thanks!

But what happens when you enter the IP manually? Do you get any error messages?

On the connection check screen the ip one is green checked but DNS and gateway is red checked. Still gives DNS error message. I just wonder if all routers give this problem or just my actiontech. I dont have a problem with anything else connecting to this wireless connection but the WD TV Live. 

Is the IP address the WD has for DNS your router?  Or is it something else?

Try manually setting the DNS on the WD to 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8  (Google DNS)

I tried the  8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 and the check mark was stiull green but gave DNS error and still will not connect. Has anyone ever used a router and had this work right out of the box?

I will buy a new modem / router if thats what it takes, lol.

Thanks,

Jeff

theghost wrote:

… Has anyone ever used a router and had this work right out of the box?

Well, almost everyone…  If you put Google DNS servers in there and still fail the connection test, something is blocking your Hub from getting there…

theghost wrote:

I tried the  8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 and the check mark was stiull green but gave DNS error and still will not connect. Has anyone ever used a router and had this work right out of the box?

I will buy a new modem / router if thats what it takes, lol.

Thanks,

Jeff

I’m with Mediacom using a Netgear WNDR3300 with third party firmware (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/02/10) std-nokaid-nohot-nostore - build 13577M).  

Worked first time.

Pat