Network only works when device is turned on

Ive been using this thing for like 6 months now, never had any problems before. Now all of a sudden the network shares stopped working when its powered off. Ive gone through every setting and everything looks fine, and it works when the unit is turned on… **bleep** is going on here? Before i figured out the problem was with the hub itself i did LOTS of changing wires and rebooting all of my hubs and routers etc. It is NOT a problem with the network. The ethernet port just seems to shut down when the unit is turned off.

Any help would be wonderful. Just please dont tell me to do a full reset or something that will make me lose all of the movies on there. thanks.

It depends on what you mean by “Turning Off.”

If you really mean OFF, well, yeah, the thing is OFF… including the network.

But if it’s in STANDBY, the Hub remains on the network serving files and whatnot.

If your LED’s are actually turning off, then you’re turning it OFF off , instead of STANDBY off.

1 Like

this may be related to the harmony remote i got i suppose. i thought the off button DID go to standby. i guess theres a standby frequency and a full off frequency? ill have to mess with the remote and see whats going on.

edit: ok the actual wdtv remote does turn it into a standby mode with the network lights still going. theres only one red off button on it. theres no off and standby. i assumed the harmony remove would use that same standby off code. where did it even get a full off code? why would anyone want to use it? i hope this is programmable.

ok i found an answer on a harmony remote forum, apparently holding the power down for 3 seconds turns it fully off and thats the default action, i set it to 500ms. gonna see how that works now.

last edit: that fixed it. stupid default with the harmony remote.

thanks for the help

I agree.   That is a weird decision on Harmony’s part.

I set mine up over a year ago before that default “changed.”

Glad you’re up and running now!