PNG's do not display correctly for files/folder thumbnails.

by ‎10-05-2011 02:51 PM - edited ‎02-29-2012 04:18 PM

FW: 2.07.10

This has been an issue with all firmware versions.

Although pngs will display for thumbnails, they do not display correctly.  They will display distorted and will not display the transparency layer, also as a png, they do not display for the "@@poster" image. 

The only way to make pngs display corrrectly is to use the work-around of manually changing the extension from .png to .jpg, then the image will display correctly (transparent layer is used and it will display as "@@poster" image).  However, this work-around does not work for folder thumbnails.

UPDATE: 10-6-11

FW: 2.08.13

Now with the newest firmware the work-around of changing the extension from a .png to .jpg doesn't work.  If you change the extension the thumbnail does not display.  It will only display if you keep the .png extension, but it does not display as true .png.

There also appears issues with how it is dispalying "@@poster" for files.  The poster for folders now display (and does so correctly, although distorted), however, the poster for files is being cut off.

To demenstrate:

This is how the "@@poster" appears for folders:

As it appears on screen.                                  The original.           

Action.jpg          action2.jpg

For files:

As it appears on screen.                                  The original.

16 BLOCKS2.png           16 BLOCKS.png

This was not an issue in previous firmwares.  Also, this is my "@@poster" line in rv_gallery_browse_page.xml for my theme:

<image image="@@poster" x="54" y="129" w="192" h="365" align="top" scale="100" scale_type="fixratio" selected_scale="100" />

UPDATE 11-18-11

FW: 3.00.08

Same issue persists as with version 2.08.13

UPDATE  2-29-12

FW: 3.03.13

This issue is still not resolved.  Still can not display TRUE pngs for files/folders, and the cropping issue still persists.

We're looking into this. When your image displays "distorted", is it just a white background or are there other problems?
Comments
by on ‎03-01-2012 08:16 AM

29-02-2012: A new FW ... Yes! ... but again ... No, it's nothing new.

Audio and  Video: No need for internet apps. Using the 1 TB drive or connect with NAS or USB drive(s).

Social Media and Games: Really? on the Hub? Come on ...

On Demand: That is why cable/satelite companies/providers have their own media/settop boxes.

Still on FW 2.07 ...

WD please stop adding internet junk and start fixing issues that were introduced ages ago?

by on ‎03-02-2012 01:06 AM

Ok WD the hub now have about 20 online services, but it has a 1 TB hard disk so if I would only use the online services maybe I wouldn't buy a product with hard disk....... PLEASE IN THE NEXT FIRMWARE FIX THIS AND ADD FULL SUPPORT TO .PNG FILE, I HOPE YOU WON'T ADD OTHER SERVICES!!!!!

by on ‎03-02-2012 06:15 AM

+1

Come on WD. Help us out here or tell us why it can't be fixed.

by on ‎03-05-2012 10:15 AM

Agreed. PNG Transparency as well as proper display is a must have feature. Sad to see that even though there's such an outcry from the dev community for this, it is mostly going unheard.

by on ‎03-05-2012 11:23 AM
How can we expect this issue to be ever resolved? The latest firmware broke Tunein and Netfix. They added MLB.TV service and that does not work either. I have given up any hope of seeing a firmware release that actually has anything worthwhile upgrading for. Keep up the good work WD.
by ‎03-15-2012 03:15 AM - edited ‎03-15-2012 09:02 AM

+1 one from me here too.  

[Edited out incorrect content]

by on ‎03-27-2012 09:25 AM

"This issue is still not resolved.  Still can not display TRUE pngs for files/folders, and the cropping issue still persists."

WHY ? Are there technical reasons for not being able to fix this?

Please could you give a PROGRESS REPORT (Is it fixable?) or give some sort of committment to solving the problem otherwise people will just drift away and a lot of hard work (particularly by Tinwarble!) will be lost!

Where is in your list of Priorities for your next Firmware update?

Thanks!

by on ‎05-10-2012 10:17 AM

What about the last firmware 3.04?

by on ‎06-07-2012 01:36 PM

WD doesn't **bleep**ing care about this feature......probably they will never fix it :smileysad:

by Moderator on ‎07-19-2012 01:50 PM

Unless this has not been fixed with the current firmware, we will close this issue out due to its age.

Announcements
The Live Hub Issue Reporting is a variation of our idea exchange being used for the purpose of reporting issues with your WD TV Live Hub Media Player.

In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV, please make sure you include:

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

Our goal is to try to address the issues that are the most important to you. Use the kudos arrow to say "Me too!" if you see an issue that affects you.

Issue Statuses explained here.
Issue Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD