PNG's do not display correctly for files/folder thumbnails.

by ‎10-05-2011 02:51 PM - edited ‎02-29-2012 04:18 PM

FW: 2.07.10

This has been an issue with all firmware versions.

Although pngs will display for thumbnails, they do not display correctly.  They will display distorted and will not display the transparency layer, also as a png, they do not display for the "@@poster" image. 

The only way to make pngs display corrrectly is to use the work-around of manually changing the extension from .png to .jpg, then the image will display correctly (transparent layer is used and it will display as "@@poster" image).  However, this work-around does not work for folder thumbnails.

UPDATE: 10-6-11

FW: 2.08.13

Now with the newest firmware the work-around of changing the extension from a .png to .jpg doesn't work.  If you change the extension the thumbnail does not display.  It will only display if you keep the .png extension, but it does not display as true .png.

There also appears issues with how it is dispalying "@@poster" for files.  The poster for folders now display (and does so correctly, although distorted), however, the poster for files is being cut off.

To demenstrate:

This is how the "@@poster" appears for folders:

As it appears on screen.                                  The original.           

Action.jpg          action2.jpg

For files:

As it appears on screen.                                  The original.

16 BLOCKS2.png           16 BLOCKS.png

This was not an issue in previous firmwares.  Also, this is my "@@poster" line in rv_gallery_browse_page.xml for my theme:

<image image="@@poster" x="54" y="129" w="192" h="365" align="top" scale="100" scale_type="fixratio" selected_scale="100" />

UPDATE 11-18-11

FW: 3.00.08

Same issue persists as with version 2.08.13

UPDATE  2-29-12

FW: 3.03.13

This issue is still not resolved.  Still can not display TRUE pngs for files/folders, and the cropping issue still persists.

We're looking into this. When your image displays "distorted", is it just a white background or are there other problems?
Comments
by Staff on ‎10-05-2011 04:48 PM
Status changed to: Investigating
We're looking into this. When your image displays "distorted", is it just a white background or are there other problems?
by ‎10-05-2011 05:27 PM - edited ‎10-05-2011 05:28 PM

Well, part of the problem is that the transparent layer does appear as white, but it is also that the image itself appears pixelized.

Since a pic is worth a thousand words this is how the image looks.   The first image is how it looks if you change the png extension to jpg (which is how it should look).  The 2nd image is how it looks if you keep the extension as png.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN  - The Curse of the Black Pearl_cover.png   PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN  - The Curse of the Black Pearl_cover2.png

Folder thumbnails always look distorted like the second pic.

by Staff ‎10-06-2011 05:39 PM - edited ‎10-06-2011 05:39 PM

I've let the development team know that the workaround is no longer available in 2.08.13

The artifacting you are seeing is due to the fact that the Live Hub generates smaller thumbnails for performance reasons. If you look in the .wdtv folder, you should see them with a ".thumb" extension.

Currently, this thumbnail generation process does not account for the alpha channel in your png files.

I have not seen the scaling issue in the default theme. Could you post a screenshot in the context of the actual UI?

by ‎10-06-2011 06:30 PM - edited ‎10-07-2011 03:57 PM

The folder thumbnails that are stored in the .wdtv/thumb folder are cached as 126 X 235 thumbs, and even being displayed as 110 x 211 they appeared distorted.

Also, the artifacting only happens if the extension is a .png for file thumbnails.  If you change the extension to .jpg (this is just an extension change not changing image values) the the artifacting is not there.

This is a screenshot using the current firmware (2.08.13)

DSC00323.JPG

This is a screenshot using firmware 2.07.17

DSC00324.JPG

Notice that on the first pic, the poster is cut off on the bottom, as where in the second pic it is not.  Also, as stated, this happens only for files, folders with the same size thumbnails as I am using for the files are not cut off with FW 2.08.13.

Is there a way to cache the folder thumbs at their original size so that the artifacting is limited?  Or have them cache the same way as the file thumbs do when they are .pngs with the extension changed to .jpg which do not suffer from the same artifacting.

by on ‎01-02-2012 06:50 PM

Hi I am new to this forum and the WDTV LIve HUb. I am using the latest firmware 3.XXX.  I have used your Mojo setup following your guide to the letter. I have done this for a trial of about 50 movies.  It works fine except, some thumbnails appear (both top and bottom and on others all I get is a blank at the top and the filmreal (as in your picture above) at the bottom.  Can you please advise how to fix this.  Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area

by ‎01-30-2012 08:55 AM - edited ‎01-30-2012 08:59 AM
This issue NEEDS to be addressed as far as I and many other people are concerned. I'm a stickler for quality and currently the cover art thumbnails generated via the default theme for the HUB and SMP look like garbage. They look low definition/blurry/pixelated - it's an assault on the senses. Why would you give consumers of your media players the ability to use true .png's then take it away or break it accidentally in a FW update without resolve? You only stifle the creative community as the .png files look so much better than the .jpg files and they also allow for transparency. You cite performance issues which is valid, but at least give us the option to utilize true .png's in future firmwares please - otherwise you risk pushing away consumers like myself who do appreciate aesthetics and creativity. People are not upgrading your firmware as a result until or if you ever address this concern. As it stands right now, unless this issue is sorted I'm VERY UNLIKELY to purchase another media player from WD or recommend a WD media player to the people I know. There are other media players on the market that have a much better looking default UI than the HUB/SMP with the same functionality if not BETTER functionality than the SMP. The solid support from the theme community is one way to keep part of your consumer base happy, but you are shooting yourself in the foot by not addressing this. Sincerely, A disappointed customer.
by on ‎02-01-2012 03:02 PM

I completely agree with Fennec's  view above,  I have just purchased the SMP 4 days ago and im already regretting my purchase. Had I done my research a little better I would not have bought it. This is not what a new customer should be feeling days after buying your product.  Please put some effort into rectifying this asap

by on ‎02-02-2012 09:16 PM

I think it needs to be fixed/changed also.

In fact I even bought a Dune 101 media player (same chipset), due to this very reason.  I currently still have my WD Streaming player, but am debating if I will keep it or not.

by on ‎02-04-2012 12:14 PM

Hi, I have made my view a few times regarding the poor quality of the thumb views in other posts

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-General/Thanks-for-reminding-me-WD/td-p/344409

A quote from it..

" i saw joeys moviesheet / theme which pushed me to get a live hub. To me the likes of  joey, and the numerous others who spend many free hours into making these themes and moviesheets are the reason why so many people have purchased these players.

Maybe it would be a good idea for WD to maybe actually listen to some of them, and there complaints, or concerns. maybe perfect the firmware you have, before releasing another one just because it has another internet option., i mean i have 7 devices that can play bbc iplayer so the mrs can watch eastenders again and again. and if i want to play games thats what the xbox and ps3 for. 

What i would like is a firmware that works 100%. I want my folder thumb / icons to look nice, not look as if my 5 year old has just painted them, and walked home in the rain to show me "

So agree 100%.. come on WD GIVE US WHAT WE WANT !!!!!

by on ‎02-04-2012 02:41 PM

I really hope in the next firmware WD will have this fix. It has been far too LONG that this issue has yet to be fixed. C'mon WD. The themers are doing this for free. The least you could do is fix the problem.

Announcements
The Live Hub Issue Reporting is a variation of our idea exchange being used for the purpose of reporting issues with your WD TV Live Hub Media Player.

In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV, please make sure you include:

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

Our goal is to try to address the issues that are the most important to you. Use the kudos arrow to say "Me too!" if you see an issue that affects you.

Issue Statuses explained here.
Issue Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD