Incorrect Thumbnail Cropping / Distorted Quality due to overcompression

by on ‎10-19-2011 06:25 PM - last edited on ‎10-20-2011 02:51 PM by Community Manager Community Manager

-

Which device?

WDTV LIVE HUB (HENCE THE CATEGORY OF THIS THREAD)

-

Which firmware?

-

Thumbnails that are being created by the hub and stored into the Thumb folder are massively overcompressed and crop the image incorrectly

VIEW THE EXAMPLE

I have tried to reproduce the compression and noticed that there is a 73% compression which leaves the image with 23% of it's originak quality.

On my TV (Samsung UE55 D8000 - German Name / Samsung UN55D8000YF - US Name) this cannot be accepted for High Def Entertainment.

The images are shrinked and cropped without anti aliasing that which makes the image loose visible content on top of that the overcompression and the lack of rounded edges cause the mosaic effect that must be prevented from showing on the final thumbnail.

-

What were you doing?

Nothing in particularm, brwosing my folders in several view modes

-

Does this happen every time?

Everytime

-

What hardware and media were you using?

Live Hub

-

Did this happen with previous firmware?

Never

-

Does power cycling the unit solve this?

No

-

Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?

No

Comments
by ‎10-06-2011 03:03 PM - edited ‎10-10-2011 09:56 PM

FW: 2.08.13

There appears to be an issue with how the firmware is scaling images.  From what I can tell there seems to be missing data as to how the firmware determines the width and height of images. 

Also, even though the "@@poster" image will display as the correct size for folders, it does not display the correct size for files (image is cut off & both the folder thumbnail and file thumbnail are the same size).  This of course is dependent on the width & height setting in the corrosponding xml file, but the same xml data that worked for previous firmwares no longer work in the new firmware which is why I assume that there is missing data.

by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎10-07-2011 03:28 PM
Status changed to: In Review

by on ‎10-20-2011 12:10 PM

I hope WD finds a solution for this.

I don't want to stay on firmware 2.07.17 forever ... and not be able to enjoy the new features in new firmwares.

by Moderator on ‎10-20-2011 01:16 PM

Your Issue Report has been frozen because it does not follow the specified criteria. Please edit your original post and make sure to include all of the following specifications and guidelines when submitting an issue report In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV.

Please make sure you include:

- Which device?
- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?

Until this is done, this Issue can not proceed from "New" to "In Review", and so it shall remain frozen.

Regards,

Trancer.

by ‎10-20-2011 01:39 PM - edited ‎10-20-2011 01:46 PM

deleted

by Moderator on ‎10-20-2011 01:50 PM
Status changed to: In Review

by Staff on ‎10-20-2011 01:58 PM
Status changed to: Investigating

by on ‎10-20-2011 07:21 PM

I'd like to add an assumption

there is a chance that the image is cropped correctly but produces the effect due to missing anti aliasing and over compression that parts of the image would be missing (poor quality effect)

The thumbnails have the correct size and content foes missing all over the place when you compare my images.

However, even when this will be fixed, as long as the thumbnail size is determined by the xml page, this will not cause satisfaction because many people use large High Def images where the thumbnail and the background are on the same file, by cropping it down to thumbnail size the backdrop will not show as intended.

by on ‎11-29-2011 06:18 AM
Me too!
by on ‎12-30-2011 07:08 AM

try this and let me know if it works for you.

Install photoshop and open the picture file and then click on file and then save for web devices

make sure convert to sRbG is ticked and optimized and the quality is set to 100 and save.

cope the file to the movie folder and delete the wd.tv folder from the externall hdd and reset and power on. this should display crystal clear icons as they are showing for my movies.

Announcements
The Live Hub Issue Reporting is a variation of our idea exchange being used for the purpose of reporting issues with your WD TV Live Hub Media Player.

In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV, please make sure you include:

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

Our goal is to try to address the issues that are the most important to you. Use the kudos arrow to say "Me too!" if you see an issue that affects you.

Issue Statuses explained here.
Issue Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD