Device reboots when browsing through files after Firmware Upgrade 3.03.13

by ‎03-08-2012 09:52 AM - edited ‎03-10-2012 07:35 PM

To Whom it May Concern:

- What hardware and media were you using?

• WD TV Live Hub
  • WD My Book Live 2TB Network Storage Device (NAS) running Twonky Media Server 5.1.9
  • Browsing through music, photo and video media files (but not actually using them at the time)

- Which firmware?

• WD TV Live Hub - Release 3.03.13 (2/29/2012)
  • WD My Book Live NAS - Release 02.10.09-124

- Device Setup:

• This device is not used to stream media to the network.  It is used to play media on the NAS and via the provided streaming services.
  • DLNA Media Server OFF
  • iTunes Server OFF
  • Sync from USB Storage OFF
  • Sync content from a Network Shared Folder OFF
  • Autoplay OFF
  • Media Library OFF
  • Get Content Info - MANUAL ONLY
  • Mobile Sharing OFF
  • Music Playback Mode - REPEAT AND SHUFFLE

- What happened?
Device reboots while browsing through files when scrolling continuously. Specifically:

• Turn on Device normally.
  • Browse to Music, Videos or Photos.
  • Browse to and select (with the OK button) the "All Tracks", "All Photos" or "All Videos" folder.
  • Press and hold the right arrow key.  
  • After a number of pages the device reboots.  It only took a few (less than 10) pages for Music before it rebooted.  I had to scroll through many more pages in Photos before it rebooted and videos were somewhere inbetween.

- What were you doing?
Scrolling to the right by holding the right arrow key down on the remote control while in the "All Tracks" folder within "Music"; "All Photos" folder within "Photos"; or "All Videos" folder within "Videos".

- Does this happen every time?
Yes.

- Did this happen with previous firmware?
No. This was never a problem with any of the prior versions.

- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
No.

- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?

• Not sure exactly how to do this and what settings I will lose if I do.
  • Will I have to redo the numerous firmware updates again after resetting to factory default?

- Have you tried this on other devices?

• Yes.  I also have a WD TV Live Streaming Media player (SMP) [Firmware Release 1.07.15 (2/29/2012)] which behaves exactly like this.  
  • With the previous firmware for the WD TV Live SMP, it did not have this problem either.

- Additional Information:

• The "Music", "Video" and "Photos" are all set up to use the Twonky Media server running on the NAS.  While it's never been my favorite way play music (I'm a fan of foobar2000), it at the very least has always worked.
  • The Twonky Setup has not been changed from the how it was set up while running the prior firmware and was working properly.
  • Scrolling through files never used to cause a reboot.
  • The NAS has about 11,200 music files (99% are MP3's), 50,500 photos (99% are JPG's) and 2,300 videos (widely varying file formats and sizes).

Please update your WDTV to firmware version 3.05.10. This issue had been resolved. Thank you.
Comments
by Moderator on ‎03-10-2012 08:14 AM
Status changed to: In Review

by on ‎03-17-2012 07:22 AM

i can also confirn this behavior. version 3.03.13  i have 2 units and it happens on both

by on ‎03-18-2012 04:24 AM

I have tried this but my Hub doesn't reboot. I've scrolled from file 1 to 2,256 of my FLAC files. I have my files stored on the Hubs internal disk. Where are your files stored?

by ‎03-19-2012 11:26 AM - edited ‎03-19-2012 11:27 AM

I'm having the same issue while browsing my image folders (jpeg images). Very annoying, had to stop using it, the unit rebooted every 2-3 minutes.

by on ‎03-19-2012 06:35 PM

I have found if watching a movie, it will not reboot, however if in idle, playing music, browsing, and/or doing a slideshows, it will reboot.  I am worried about losing movies, so I have a movie in infinite loop while I backup movies to external hard drive.  Truly expected more from WD.

by on ‎04-14-2012 02:20 AM

Hi,

I have just bought the WDTV Live and I can make it crash  every time when I browse my media content fast.

Please can you help as I have a lot of content and I sometimes need to browse quickly. Seems crazy to have a system that you can't do that.

I took the last one back as I thought it was broken and the second unit does exactly the same.

Please help or I think I will just return it.

by on ‎04-17-2012 09:13 AM

I have this same issue and it **bleep**. I can consistently recreate this problem with my image files. I set to slideshow and the system will reboot every time. PLEASE FIX!

by on ‎04-26-2012 07:51 AM

I have been post mulitple post of each step I have taken and how it crashes for weeks, but every time I post it stays burried adn nothing happens

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/Crashes-and-reboots/idi-p/371387

I can't watch anything without a reboot.  I am at the point where i want to return it and get something else.  I don't care about all the fluff and the add ons. They are great but I built a full fledge media center for that and really that is where I would expect it, but I do expect this to play without crashing every day. 

by on ‎04-28-2012 09:11 PM

I have the same issue on both of my WDTV live streaming boxes.  I have about 1200 files in one folder and since the above mentioned update if I scroll forward or backwards and hit the 570 file either way WDTV restarts.   This is a big problem.  I played with the WDTV settings and nothing helps.

by on ‎05-01-2012 12:52 PM

I have the same issue. The unit resets at the drop of a hat now. Whenever I brows photos, run a slide show or brows music. It resets and re-builds the library.

Announcements
The Live Hub Issue Reporting is a variation of our idea exchange being used for the purpose of reporting issues with your WD TV Live Hub Media Player.

In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV, please make sure you include:

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

Our goal is to try to address the issues that are the most important to you. Use the kudos arrow to say "Me too!" if you see an issue that affects you.

Issue Statuses explained here.
Issue Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD