Incredibly long boot time

Hello,

New to the forum, but have been lurking for a while and now I am having a problem to which I have not seen an anwer.

My Hub was working perfectly well untill a few weeks ago. When I power up from a cold start, the Loading screen comes on screen and the WD logo on the box starts to flash. It remains like that for anything between 30 & 60 minutes until eventually the it loads up. I have carried out a factory reset and I have managed to load up the latest firmware, but the issue persists. I have no movies or music currently been stored on the device.

Any ideas on how I can fix this would be welcomed.

Thanks

Have you tried the overkill reset

Press the bottom paperclip button for a couple of seconds and then release with the unit fully booted up.

Reset to factory defaults via the internal menu.

Unplug from power for some minutes (not seconds)

Do all 3 one after the other.

Have you also tried using a composite video cable to see if anything different happens. I’m assuming that you are connected via HDMI cable.

Thanks for the reply richUK. I have tried all sorts of reset combinations, but I am trying this one as we speak. The unit is currently using HDMI to my monitor whilst I test it… However, when in situ it is using the component outputs to the TV (I have an old but great CRT TV still). The problem seems to manifest itself no matter what video connection it uses.

I will let you know how I get on, but I think this unit maybe heading for a return if this does not work.

Cheers

You said in your first post you have no movies or music on the internal HD.    

Do you have ANY files stored on the internal HD?

When the problem first occured I had some movies on there, just a few for testing as I mainly stream them from my NAS. There is nothing on there at the moment as I have not had stable yet.

Following on from the testing suggested by RichUK, the problem still persists. It is currently ‘booting’ but i cannot hear any disk action at all, just the hum of the fan. It takes about 1 hour to boot. When it is next up I will try and copy some files to it and then boot up.

Cheers

I would suggest before you try adding files to it that you reformat the internal drive using the Hub’s Drive Manager.

Good call Tony, I will do that.

Turns out I did have some files on there, mainly mp3’s and some movies, but only about 40GB’s worth. Anyway I am formatting as we speak and that is also taking ages. Been going for about 30 mins now.

Wow…   It should only take a minute or two.  (That’s my memory, though… it’s been ages since I tried it.)

I’m wondering if your HD is flaking out and you might need to replace your Hub.

Do you see “Formatting…” or “Drive formatted. The WD TV Live will now restart. Please wait…”? If it is the second one, just press OK button on remote controller when WD LED stops flashing and big green checkmark appears on the right side. Drive is already formatted and Hub is awaiting you to confirm reboot. If it stops at “Formatting…”, internal drive probably has failed and needs to be replaced.

Well I just checked, after forgetting about it overnight, and it is still formatting. That must be a disk failure so I will have to sort out a return.Thanks for all the good advice, it is much appreciated.

The device was working perfectly until a few weeks ago when it a  prompted to install a new firmware.  When restarting it begun to load and load… The front panel WD logo keeps flashing and there is a notification on the TV screen: Loading… this takes about 30…60 minutes, as the thread opener described. If finally loads and the device works normally, until the next cold boot. I tries everything, restarting, resetting the factory settings, pressing the hard reset button on the bottom of the device, but all the same, no cure.

The cause of this long boot  time is that it wont find it’s own internal hard drive. I takes about 30…60 minutes until it finally does. This you can confirm by pressing setup from the remote when the device is loading… It lets you to the menus normally and there from SYSTEM/ Storage Status: Local Storage - not found!!  Until about an half hour later, when everything is OK. Until the next cold boot, that is, when it all starts again…

Why could this be, the hard drive is probably OK, since it is working normally after it has been found. And I wish not to get an answer telling me to format the hard drive, since it took more than 30 hours to transfer all the data, nearly 10 000 of photos and home movies, the file transfer being ridiculously slow as known, even when using the LAN.

Any ideas how to fix this? Today I found a firmware update, hoped that it would fix the issue, but NO. Loading… Loading…

WD support, hey, we need your attention!!

I would try and go back to a working firmware (for you)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/p/208,342/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwNTk4OTYzNi9zaWQvdTU0Mmp3dWs%3D

Follow this guide and rollback to 2.04.13, if this was the one you had.

Sorry to bump up my thread, but I thought I would bring it up to date and to a close. Basicaly the device was bricked as none of the various fixes worked for me. So it was RMA’d and my new Live Hub arrived this morning.

Thanks for the help.