Which wireless USB adapter is compatible?

Although it’s nice to see I’m not the only one with this problem, it didn’t help me avoid buying a non-compatible adapter first, or help me find a compatible one.

The first, a Netgear Wireless N USB Adapter WNA3100 unfortunately had a D missing (WNDA3100) so didn’t work. The list of compatible devices is a good place to start, but in terms of buying an adapter that works, it’s next to useless. Not only do you have to find the right model, but the right model with the right “Version/Revision”. This involves either getting sight of the box the adapter comes in or getting the on-line seller to look for you. Have you tried that? Here in the UK, the number of shops that stock adapters is pretty small to begin with and finding one that stocks a compatible model almost impossible. Off to the www then. Now find someone willing to check the version/revision for you. Hooray for eBay! I managed to persuade a seller to check the box of a TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter TL-WN721N and, although it listed it as Ver 1.9 and the WD states “Rev.0108”, as the TP-Link website doesn’t list any software updates for that model, I took the chance and…

…it works!