WDTV Live Hub damaged by power spike - is there a solution? Support number in Brazil doesn't work

Hi guys, first post around here. Title pretty much sums it up, I had a power shortage during the night and probably when it came back (and I was still asleep), the power spike very probably damaged the network card on my WDTV Live Hub and it suddenly stopped being recognized in my LAN.

Luckily, nothing else was damaged in the process, but I’m very sad that I lost the capability to transfer my files over the network to it, even though the WDTV is still working fine, apparently. Just the network card was compromised: no lights on, no nothing, I tried other ports in the router, I updated WDTV’s firmware, changed the cable, set a static IP for it on my DHCP table… no good.

My network setup is fully wired, I have an Onkyo TX-609SR receiver, my main computer and my Playstation 3 along with the WDTV hooked up to my router, the other computers, tablet, cell phone all connect wireless.

What I want to know is that if there’s any support capable of fixing solely the network card if that is really the problem after all. I tried to call the 0800 770 4932 (free number) that I got from WD’s website, but no success.

Thanks in advance.

Regards!

No.  The network is built-in to the main board – it’s not a separate component. 

You could try using a WiFi adapter, though…

I feared that would be the only solution to my problem… dang, I had the whole living room adapted to be able to connect everything important using cables… and my router’s wifi **bleep** so bad… *sigh*

The manual doesn’t have a list of compatible wifi adapters… which one would be my best shot? One or two options, maybe…

noguchLM wrote:

I feared that would be the only solution to my problem… dang, I had the whole living room adapted to be able to connect everything important using cables… and my router’s wifi **bleep** so bad… *sigh*

The manual doesn’t have a list of compatible wifi adapters… which one would be my best shot? One or two options, maybe…

The compatibility list is here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2NTUxNjkxNy9zaWQvdUdrdXpobmw%3D

Thanks!

There’s a Cisco High Performance Wireless-N Adapter (AE-1000) available in a nearby store for 100 bucks (local currency, ~50 USD). Worth it?

Out of interest, the phone number you have for Brazil is incorrect. See here.
http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

richUK, thanks for the heads up! You are indeed correct, but I’m quite sure that I got the number from somewhere in the site that I can’t find again right now… :flushed:

I just called in and I’m in awe with the efficiency and sympathy of the attendant. Although speaking from the Caribbean, her mix of spanish and portuguese was pretty good and I got all the info I needed. Good news is that if I can find a local electronics store capable of diagnosing for sure that only the network port is compromised, my WDTV Live Hub is still under warranty and WD will replace the defective piece with no cost. If that’s true or not I don’t know, but the perspective is very encouraging.

If only I had the patience to wait… I just bought the wifi adapter… gonna have to get used to GBs being transferred at a third of the previous speed for now, I guess. :laughing:

Thanks, folks.