WD Live Plus and Hub Can't co-exist?

For a while I have been having a problem:

When I look at my network on ANY of my Windows 7 PCs I see the Hub and the Live Plus as computers. If the Live Plus is on and I open the HUB to look at it I see the Live Plus NOT the Hub. I have to turn off the Live Plus and wait for the network to realize it’s no longer there, then I have to turn off the Hub and wait and then I usually turn the Hub back on and see it on the network as I should see it.

I don’t know what the problems is and it started some time ago so i can’t tell what FW might have caused this or if it’s my network or what it is. It’s a real pain…anyone else seen this happen or have any idea how to fix it?

Dumb questions, perhaps:

•  They each have a unique name?

•  They each have a unique IP address?

Yup…

WDTVLIVEPLUS 192.168.1.86

WDTVLIVEHUB 192.196.1.79

Both on workgroup with seperate IPs…and that’s just what it’s like. The same IP getting issued to both units, but they are different. None of my android devices have a problem figuring out who’s who…I can use either device to access the other and that’s fine. PlayOn is not having any issues.

Also: it’s an off/on kinda thing. Just happened to check just now and it’s working as it should.

:confounded:

flhthemi wrote:

Yup…

WDTVLIVEPLUS 192.168.1.86

WDTVLIVEHUB 192.196.1.79

Did you try to give them static IP address on your router?
Also there is there is this WD My Net View software, check it out, when you have a problem, scan yor network and see what happens.

1 Like

Well we have known for a while that 2 hubs or 1 hub and 1 live have had issues with a single NAS due to directory structure and location for media library:  

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/One-NAS-with-2-x-WDTV-likely-to-cause-problems/td-p/337821

But I can’t remember two wdtv devices that are lost/appear on the network differently.

The Plus, as of this morning, was set to manual mode for network config. I assume thats the same as a static IP.

I’ll try that for a few days see what happens.

flhthemi wrote:

The Plus, as of this morning, was set to manual mode for network config. I assume thats the same as a static IP.

I’ll try that for a few days see what happens.

Still working just fine! I guess setting the IP manually is the way to go for me.

I just posted a parallel question about how I would like to use my newly acquired hub, but from reading your thread, perhaps you have already achieved my goal…or maybe know if it is possible–

I put 8000+ tunes and 500 + photos on the hub HD. The hub is connected to my router and visible on a computer on the home network…

Could I acquire another WD TV device as a WD LivePlus and connect it to a seperate AVR in another room and playback the music on the hub ?

Without a computer running !

If so, anything special need to be done , other than confronting this IP issue you seem to have solved?

Thanks

WoodsDweller wrote:

I just posted a parallel question about how I would like to use my newly acquired hub, but from reading your thread, perhaps you have already achieved my goal…or maybe know if it is possible–

I put 8000+ tunes and 500 + photos on the hub HD. The hub is connected to my router and visible on a computer on the home network…

Could I acquire another WD TV device as a WD LivePlus and connect it to a seperate AVR in another room and playback the music on the hub ?

Without a computer running !

If so, anything special need to be done , other than confronting this IP issue you seem to have solved?

Thanks

As long as you have the files stored on the Hub yes. I have both units and do it all the time. You can also connect a USB drive to the Plus and access it from the Hub.

Thanks !

The guy at Best Buy said no, but it didn’t make sense to me that you couldn’t.

So, next question…

If I play the music on the hub on its system, can I also access it from the additional WDTV Plus on the secondary system (in the basement) and play it there at the same time?

If so, would it be playing the same track ? (preferred)

AND could I add a third unit and play it on the outdoor system ? (close enough for the WiFi)

Thanks

WoodsDweller wrote:

Thanks !

The guy at Best Buy said no, but it didn’t make sense to me that you couldn’t.

So, next question…

If I play the music on the hub on its system, can I also access it from the additional WDTV Plus on the secondary system (in the basement) and play it there at the same time?

If so, would it be playing the same track ? (preferred)

AND could I add a third unit and play it on the outdoor system ? (close enough for the WiFi)

Thanks

If you’re talking about starting a Mp3 on say the Hub and having it control the other two WD Live Plus units, NO.

NOTE: If this is what you want why not utilize some wireless speaker device in all 3 rooms and control the Hub with
            an Android device using the WDTV Remote android app? Then you wouldn’t need the other 2 WD devices just
            some wireles recivers for the audio. Of course if you want movies and pictures in those rooms you’ll need the WD
            devices or similar UPNP/DLNA devices. Some of the new Smart TVs can do this, play your files on the Hub.

You CAN access all the MP3’s that are stored on the Hub from all the other WD devices, just as you would a video file. You would have to pick the track to play on each device in each location.

Thanks,

The other AV systems already exist. no need to buy more speakers.

The way it works will be just fine.

Would have been nice if they could all access it at the same time though.

Thanks again.

They can all access the Hub at the same time. They just can’t be remotely controlled by the Hub.

So Unit 1 could be watching a movie on the Hub

Unit 2 could also be watching the SAME movie on the Hub but the Hub can not remotely be a control for the other 2 units AFAIK.