Special Release - Firmware Version 3.03.16 for WD TV Live Hub (4/4/12)

Andreas3000 wrote:

… and how about the new firmware, which can support more new wireless USB adapters, like ZyXel NWD-2105 or DWA-125 A3… ??? 

Current WiFi devices list is mostly outdated, very hard to find those adapters now.

This is a great point. I was lucky to get a D-Link DWA125 v1 which works great but is really hard to find now. For those people who purchase a WD Hub today, it must be very difficult to find a compatible wireless adaptor. WD really needs to hire more programmers or change their focus and stop worrying about adding useless features. 

It’s as easy as always to find a guaranteed supported adapter:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/list/parentCategoryID.13092600/categoryID.56162500

:wink:

Yeah, it’s more expensive than some, but what are you willing to pay for guaranteed support?

(At least, that’s available in the US.  Can’t see what other regions have…)

You could also try a wireless bridge.  I use one and it works great.

Oh, so instead of adding more support for cheap wirelss cards, WD will sell you wireless functionality for $60-$80 :laughing:  Easy as always! And a ripoff too. 

I have seen the same problem playing mpg ripped DVDs on network share and on external hdd . Playback freeze as described. Rolled back the FW to previous version fixed the problem completely . Plays fine from shares and external now.

What was the firmware just before 3.13? I am having the issues with it constantly rebuilding the library. Want to roll back to the firmware immediately before the probem began. Would be nice to see “special” updates that fixed issues

“why not just make it open source and we’ll fix it ourselves!”

[Deleted]

…in any case I ask WD to pay attention to this issue. Some new wireless adapters could be added. I think, technically it is possible to do. It would be a perfect job!

—Bill_S: “How is the drive’s power adapter plugged in?  If it’s on a power strip, trying plugging it directly into a power outlet and see if that changes.  It’s possible that you may have too many devices on the strip.  Also, how long a usb cable are you using?  if you are using a longer cable than came with the drive, try a shorter one and see if that fixes it.  Let me know what happens.”—

Hi Bill, it´s still freezing. So I´m thinking is a FW problem with >1Tb HDD. Thanks anyway!!

Woohoo!  I can watch my games now!  Thanks.

Really was looking forward to the fix for MLB, but yet again another disappointment . Can not see MLB cause with the new download you can not connect with wireless. What is with you WD , is it so hard to do something right for a change. I pay extra for wireless and now can not use it, nor can I update anymore to fix the problem cause I bought a wireless WD PLAYER. Thanks for all your help. I think it is time to bust this darn thing using my anger and going with another maker. Enough is enough!!!

Did you try resetting the network wireless settings.  I’ve had to do that before.

Special Release doesn’t necessarily mean it contains something special it can also mean that it was released to fix a particular area.

This however wasn’t the only change in the firmware, there has been a major undocumented change for thumbnails/coverart. They are no longer compressed or cropped. Thumbnails are still archived in the thumb folder but they are now identical copies of source file which improves the display quality and opens a door for themers again.

2 Likes

They should have called it a minor release! :wink:

@DeVicious

Thanks for bringing this out in the open…

Now I wonder why WD have not thought to do so in the release notes?? Strange…Hmmmm…I don’t wish to conjecture any further… Perhaps WD can enlighten us?

I’ll pass on download. I don’t watch MLB or any sports for that matter.

We keep saying the same thing every time firmware comes out… fix the simple things, stop adding new things for now.

1 Like

architectonic wrote:

Now I wonder why WD have not thought to do so in the release notes??

Pick your answer:

1. This release was supposed to have just the MLB fix only. We didn’t mean to put that untested change in this release.

2. We don’t know why those thumbnails broke in the first place and don’t know why they work now.

3. We thought we’d toss a bone to the themers and others that have been complaining.

4. Huh?

I was not going to update to this release since I don’t need MLB on this device. I “assumed” (knowing all that that means) that WD was diligently working on a “real” update that fixes multiple issues and this “Special” rush release of the MLB fix was a solo change due to the hard target deadline of MLB’s Opening Day. But if there are real changes (for the better this time) under the covers then I will update (hesitate to call it upgrade) today.

“Not Richard”

DeVicious wrote:

Special Release doesn’t necessarily mean it contains something special it can also mean that it was released to fix a particular area.

This however wasn’t the only change in the firmware, there has been a major undocumented change for thumbnails/coverart. They are no longer compressed or cropped. Thumbnails are still archived in the thumb folder but they are now identical copies of source file which improves the display quality and opens a door for themers again.

Nope, I’m stil seeing cropping &  thumbs are still being compressed at least for .png files.

Thumb file                                                                Actuall image

FW still converts .pngs to compressed .jpg images.  Jpgs are not compressed or cropped but this only opens the door if you were using jpg’s to begin with.  Without true .png support this still leaves you in the same boat.  Also the .png/.jpg extension trick still does not work.

2 Likes

@ Tinwarble

Thanks for the heads up on this TW ! (I never bother with FW upgrade, I tend to just read other peoples findings- too lazy I suppose to rollback) :smileyvery-happy:

Not sure where DeVicious was coming from…?.. Perhaps she can clarify her findings? Hope so.

yuppicide wrote:

I’ll pass on download. I don’t watch MLB or any sports for that matter.

We keep saying the same thing every time firmware comes out… fix the simple things, stop adding new things for now.

Exactly