Problems streaming video to my Nexus 7

Hi all.

I’ve just bought my daughter a Nexus 7 tablet for Christmas and am in the middle of setting it all up so that its ready to go when she opens it on Christmas day.

I’m having problems though when it comes to streaming videos from my WDTV Live Hub to the Nexus 7.  I’ve installed Twonky on the Nexus, and set it so that the media player is the Nexus and the library is the WDTV Live Hub. The Nexus can find the WDTV Live Hub on my network and I can browse through the folders and find all my movies. The problem is when I try and play one.  When I click on the movie I want I just get an error message saying ‘unable to start playback’.

I know the Nexus can play the video files (mainly AVI’s and MP4’s) because if I copy the files directly onto the Nexus, they all play fine with ‘Dice Player’ (which is my preffered media player).

If I try and play some of my music which I have on my WDTV Live Hub on the Nexus using Twonky, they all play perfectly. It’s just movies - they refuse to play!

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can solve this because it’s driving me crazy!!!

Thanks.

I can’t speak to Twonky, but I have no problem playing movies over my network from my HUB to my Nexus 7. I just use EFS File Explorer to find network shares, some on the HUB and some on other windows boxes that have movies. I click on the movie (avi & mkv, iso will not work) and then the Nexus asks me which media player I want to use. I have found BSPlayer to work the best, and then the movie starts perfectly, no issues at all. Not sure if it is as pretty a setup as Twonky since I am connecting to shares and picking movie files, but the stream works fine.

-P

I think you have it backwards, but I’m not sure… Just reading the docs, it says Twonky on the nexus is so you can play media that is ON the phone TO other devices on your network, not the other way around?

Yes I agree with Pearl. Use Es to find and then play from there.

Dice player has been a pile of doodoo lately though.

I’ve had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for a couple of months and am using Twonky on that to play all my movies and music stored on my WDTV Live Hub, so I don’t think that Twonky is the issue.

I’ll give EFS File Explorer a try and see how that goes.

Thanks for the input so far people!

Yes. All my video files play flawlessly using EFS File Explorer which obviously means the problem I’m having is with Twonky.

If it was my Nexus, I’d happily use EFS to watch the movies, but I think it may be a bit long winded and over the head of my 9 year old daughter. I wanted to use Twonky because it was a lot simpler to use.

Can anybody recommend another program that may work, which might be a bit more straighforward than EFS? Or is there a way to create a shortcut on the Nexus to my movie folders on the Hub using EFS?

(Reading back what I’m asking I do realise that these questions are more Android based than Hub based, but seeing as how some kind people have already tried to help me I’ll keep the thread going here for the time being.)

Yes I think I can.

XMBC has been ported to Android, still early days but Nexus owners seem to be having a lot of success.

Get the latest NEON version and have a play.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1813089

What twonky have you got installed?
Have you tried Skifta
http://www.skifta.com

I think I’ve got it all figured out now…

If I use EF FIle Explorer and set it so that it looks straight to my Hub by default, I can hide all the movie folders I don’t want my daughter to be watching, leaving only the movies she is allowed to watch. 

I’ve been playing around with like this for the past 10 minutes and everything seems to be working great!

Thanks again for all the input and advise.

(is it too early to say “hope you all have a great Christmas”?)