Playback Issues with M2TS, MPG, MPEG, and TS video files containing Dolby, DTS, and PCM

WD Announcement for WD TV Live Hub Media Center or WD TV Live Streaming Media Player:

There is an issue parsing the file header on file types M2TS, MPG, MPEG, and TS video files containing Dolby, DTS, and PCM (above 2 channels).  These files may display a “Not Supported” error message, or the files may play back without audio.

This issue is specific to M2TS, MPG, MPEG, and TS files. You can resolve this issue by re-encoding the video to use a different container type.  However, we are currently working to resolve this issue as soon as possible in a future release.

4 Likes

Some people reported this problem after update to fw 3.00.28, and as I can see WD confirm the bug, however I tested the last firmware for a week and I didn’t have any sort of problem with my .m2ts files (16 titles) they appear in video menu and video, audio and also the subs works well as with the previous firmware. This sounds very strange to me as it seams I’m the only one that have no problem with this format and the fw 3.00.28.

I had the same issue as certain MPEG4 and MPEG2 movies with Dolby sound won’t plain on my receiver over HDMI until I go to Setup - Audio - HDMI and downgrade to Stereo. Didn’t like the solution of downgrading audio sound.

The other movies in the same format with audio other than Dolby, the sound comes out fine over HDMI in its native format.

It took me a while to figure this out but once I downgraded the firmware to 2.8.x.x, the problem went away and audio is detected automatically.

Somehow in the new 3.0.0.28, they messed up with the auto detect feature of the HDMI signal.

Thank you for acknowledging the issue and letting us know that you are working to resolve it. I can’t re-encode my entire library.

In answer to plesk90 cooments, there may be a reason why he has had no issues with m2ts files. I have found that all my existing Blu ray rips in m2ts are still running perfectly BUT if you rip a new Blu ray, you will find it does not pick up and gives the file error. Tony mentioned it is something to do with the header. I was about to roll back the firmware but I have also read that rolling back can leave ghosts of the new firmware, so for now I shall leave the new firmware installed and hope the next issue will not be too far away. I am somehat surprised that this was released if WD were aware of the bug. Playing the common filetypes should be what this hardware is all about.

Since last update mkv videos are now jumpy its like frames are missing. how do i go back to last firmware.

the same issue is happening with the .mkv container Bill_S

has anybody had a chance to look at the codecs to make sure that there’s not something wrong with the encoding?  Also, I need a consensus of people that are having these issues.  If there are a few, then a report needs to be filed in the issue exchange. 

I am confused…Is this a KNOWN issue by the WD team or not? (i.e. the question about “Has any checked the encoding of the file”) For me…it is a clear issue ALL of the TS and M2TS files that I have tried to play since the upgrade to 3.0.28 cannot play DTS or PCM through the HDMI. If Stereo Output is selected in the options is works.

Here is a media info output for one file:

Format                           : BDAV
Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
File size                        : 40.4 GiB
Duration                         : 2h 33mn
Overall bit rate                 : 37.6 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate         : 35.5 Mbps

Video
ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Maximum bit rate                 : 32.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive

Audio #1
ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                   : MA
Muxing mode                      : Stream extension
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Channel(s)                       : 8 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 24 bits
Language                         : English

Audio #2
ID                               : 4353 (0x1101)
Format                           : PCM
Format settings, Endianness      : Big
Format settings, Sign            : Signed
Muxing mode                      : Blu-ray
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 6 912 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 24 bits
Stream size                      : 7.42 GiB (18%)
Language                         : English

.mkv’s with 5.1PCM are still breaking the WDTV.

spinning arrow, no other file playable, needs reseting to get it working again.

it happens with H264 or VC-1 video and 5.1 PCM audio.

I seem to be having the same issue with my wmv files from Blockbuster and CinemaNow. Hope  it gets fixed soon.

Just confirmed 8 different files (various containers) with DTS across OPTICAL and HDMI is failing. Tuner shows “dec eror” so decoding error. This issue is tied to the firmware update. Nothing has changed in the movie files. The only thing that changed was WD firmware.

I use optical for the audio stream directly into my tuner and HDMI to the screens.

Can confirm downgrading from Optical Passthrough to Stereo is a temporary fix.

1 Like

Since this latest update, it’s AC3 that’s failing. mkv’s that were previously working with h264 video and AC3 audio (any bitrate) are now silent. Yes, I can set the Hub back to output stereo over optical, but I don’t want to since it has been working previously.

I’m growing tired of features being added, but bugs being introduced as well.

Give me:

Flawless decoding for all supported container formats, audio formats, and video formats.

A useful music browsing interface.

IronSpine wrote:

Just confirmed 8 different files (various containers) with DTS across OPTICAL and HDMI is failing. Tuner shows “dec eror” so decoding error. This issue is tied to the firmware update. Nothing has changed in the movie files. The only thing that changed was WD firmware.

I use optical for the audio stream directly into my tuner and HDMI to the screens.

Can confirm downgrading from Optical Passthrough to Stereo is a temporary fix.

I was able to replicate some of the issues from some of the posts on this thread.  Are the files you are playing stored locally? or network share?  Video/Audio content? or Audio only content, as well?

For example, I played a few files types mentions in the original post locally and via network share.   The stated issues occur more often when played via network share.   However, when the files are stored locally, they mostly play.   When “Unk Error” (or similar) comes up, or when there is no audio playing, I was able to “kick start” the audio by pressing the audio button (or via options/audio…)

same to me. New firmware 3.0.13 - same problem. Can play only in stereo. Tuner shows “dec err.” if try to play Dolby Digital sound.

Firmware 3.0.28 works fine in this case.

toslink on the 3.x series appears to be totally broken.   I had to revert to 2.x  in order to get it to work.   Even then it doesn’t sync, I have to mute/unmute in order for the reciever to sync up the stream.  

I have no issues with my xbox360/ps3/dvd/directv reciever toslink in this regard, all streams sync and play flawlessly with my reciever.

If you have any info on getting toslink/optical to work in the 3.x firmware please post.

EDIT:  Please kudos this issue: 

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/Toslink-Optical-not-syncing-or-passing-multichannel-audio/idi-p/363769

One big problem for me with new firmware 3.03.13. Videos from my camcorder Panasonic HDC-TM900 in the original format (1080p , 60 frames per second , 25k bitrate, .m2ts) are not playing right. Video is very jerky and every few seconds it breaks up. My second unit still on 3.01.19 firmware plays ok. 

I will revert to 3.01.19 until the fix.

I don’t know MTS from WMV. BUT I do know that several HUNDRED dollars worth of CinemaNow purchases WON"t Play on my player.  What’s with that!!  BTW If it weren’t for WD HUB I would not have purchased ANY movies from CinemaNow, OR Blockbuster.  Can’t everybody get on the right page? PLEASE!  Great product but I’m starting to be afraid to update the firmware.