New Release - Firmware Version 3.04.17 for WD TV Live Hub (5/7/12)

I am finding this new FW to work quite well, so my biggest question is why it seems like so many people have different problems. Doesn’t make sense to me that the upgrade screws up some peoples HUBs and others works fine.

So far I have found this FW to be much faster browsing, showing my folder.jpgs, bringing up my movie xmls and even compiling the media library. My media is on multiple machines including drives on a liveplus and all seems smooth. No problems with file types, (VOB, MKV, MP4 etc)

Each time I am upgrade, I am well prepared to roll back, but have been prettty lucky so far and found each FW better than the previous one (I did not do the one just for MLB). I find it very strange going through this thread, and the ones for each previous FW that we always have people with major issues, and, and others including myself, that don’t see those problems at all.  BTW, that certainly doesn’t mean I wont come across an issue myslef after a week or so playing with 3.04.17…

Good luck to those here who are having issues, and thanks to Bill_S for your responses

-P

Well, Bill, a lot of “issues” seem to be “resolved” in this latest firmware update.  I am, however, disappointed with the inclusion of Skitter.tv and the absence of Amazon Prime–especially since Skitter.tv is unavailable outside of NYC and is being sued by the major networks.  All said, I remain committed to WD Live Hub and continue to enjoy my personal movie collection and preserving my BluRay disks.  I have also started using Vudu (Walmart’s new program) to backup my collection.  I am more than willing to pay $2 a disk to have my collection available on Vudu; all I have to do is turn on my Hub, go to Vudu and it’s all there for me in 1080P.

I thank you, WDC, and the forum users especially for being there for me during moments of confusion (and stress), always helping me find my way through a maize of electronic info.

Well, I just did the update and now have a brick!

It will not turn on either by the remote or the power button but I hear either the fan or the HD running…NOW WHAT?

EDIT:

Whew!! Pulled the plug and she booted up when I plugged her back in. correct version of firmware is showing (3.04.17). Did a full reset after she came all the way back up. I hope everything is OK. Going to check her out now…

EDIT 2: No fix for the spinning arrow of death :frowning: ahh well, guess i’ll keep hoping.

youtube stopped showing preview pictures on video list

Thank You WD!!  FInally We Can Shuffle Videos!  I Spent The Last 2 Months Fighting With WD To Fix The Issue And They Finally DID!  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Bill_S wrote:

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Hub Media Player.

If you experience any issues with this firmware, please report them in the WD TV Live Hub Issue Reporting exchange.

Also, please keep in mind that the What’s New option in Settings still isn’t working in this firmware update.

Feel free to post your questions or experiences in this thread.

1 Like

What about PNG files? I hope WD at least will reintroduce the trick that worked in fw 2.07.17: in that fw version you can display png files for backdrop just by changing the file extension from .png to .jpg. But they broke this feature in fw 2.08 and later.

1 Like

Re: littlemalcom

I have a similar issue with the new firmware.  I’ve had very few issues with the player up until now.  Since the new firmware any time I try to play an .iso file, the hub reboots.  Trying to play the .iso fremotely from my WDTV media player also produces an error “Invalid format”.  These files have been playing succesfully for nearly a year.

I’ve opened a new issue report here: http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/Playing-ISO-Files-Reboots-Hub-after-3-04-17/idi-p/403442

Since I had problems with installing this update (previous post in this thread) I figured it would be a good idea to try playing an .iso. It worked fine for me, no problem at all. Moved around the menu from the .iso just like it should it played everything in the file fine.

I notice tho, that when I press the power button on my remote it now takes a little longer to power down to standby mode. I think I will run the update again only because I had an issue with the initial install where at the end of the update the unit didn’t boot up nor would it turn on until I pulled the plug out and put it back in. Maybe another burn will fix it…we’ll see.

Ok My iso reboot problem is solved with changing the video frame rate as was suggested in other posts so there is a bug there. So I would suggest all of you that have that simlilar problem turn off match video frame rate

Movie cover art issue STILL NOT FIXED!!!  :angry:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/Firmware-3-03-13-OLD-BUG-Cover-art-doesn-t-show-on-DVD/idi-p/362705

1 Like

Derrick wrote:

Movie cover art issue STILL NOT FIXED!!!  :angry:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/Firmware-3-03-13-OLD-BUG-Cover-art-doesn-t-show-on-DVD/idi-p/362705

So I did a “rescan info” on that movie and voila!! Movie1 now has a thumbnail!!  :smiley:

Then why at the end of that thread did you say that it worked?

Since installing this latest firmware, I have notice one odd thing…

I used to get a confirmation screen “Are you sure you want to exit Netflix? y/n?”

I no longer see that…

Is that by design?  If it is by design, can it be undesigned?  Or at least give me the option if I want to see it or not…

@TonyPh12345

The workaround applied fixed the issue, but that relied on me having to manually move files around and rename them as per the suggestion.  Not exactly a fix in my view. 

To add to that, any update to the content through the “Get Content Info” or “Rescan Info” options will not apply.  These functions seem to update the .metathumb file and .xml file one level above the VIDEO_TS folder within a movie folder.  This content is not being read appropriately by the software.  It still seems to have a problem with VOB structure:

MovieName

|

------VIDEO_TS

|

-------VTS_01_0.VOB

-------VTS_01_1.VOB

etc…

@pearl

I have to say, I fall into a similar catagory.    Most firmware upgrades are non-events for me.  

he upgrades don’t necessaily  the issues I am concerned about, but they have never results in me having to downgrade or reset the box.

I have my hub connected via ethernet,and I always do the upgrades over the wire.

I probably don’t tax the box like some people do.   I do have a NAS setup and I have ripped my personal DVD collection to that, all in video_ts.   I have a couple of the kids movie in an mp4 format but thats it for formats.   I am always amazed at the wide verity of codecs and such people use, makes me wonder where there source material comes from. 

I also heavily use netflix and pandora.   Started using Vudu recently and realy enjoy it.    Occasionaly I fire up hulu+.   I’m an Amazon prime member, so I’d like to see that service supported soon. 

I think the only issue I have with the Hub right now is that the video thumbnails are broken for me.   Dissapointed that the latest firmware does not seem to have fixed it, thats 3-4 updates with no fix yet. 

Yup, that is one issue that has annoyed me as well. I eventualy gave up and bought a blu-ray player specificaly because it had amazon on demand and I wanted to get  my money’s worth as a prime member 

I’m an Amazon prime member, so I’d like to see that service supported soon. 

Anyone noticing some Video_ts folders under 4GB no longer playing since this update. I’ve found 2 so far that I just get a blank screen everytime I hit play. They used to play ok and still do on my laptop. I’ve tried re-adding them from my backup drive but still just get a black screen. Any suggestions what could be wrong here?

Also no longer finding windows shares! Is there a workaround to correct this?

My only hope is that at some point in time, WD gets their stuff together sufficiently such that this thing can be good enough to enter beta testing.   Worst cool device ever.

downloaded and flashed it via an usb pen drive.

No problems encountered till now.