New Release - Firmware Version 2.06.10 for WD TV Live Hub (5/17/11)

beatmaster wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote: …There’s NO possible way they can ADD VOLUME controls to the remote now.   The buttons don’t exist.   And a firmware update cannot make buttons appear on the remote, or even change the function of the existing buttons. …

i think of you as a very engaged contributor to this community, seriously.

but sometimes, rarely, you think too much along the company lines…

by selling consumer electronics for a while now i saw quite a lot of products,

most of which i actually didn’t want to see in the first place, but i’m digressing…

most mediaplayers, and previously optical mediaplayers, did use the up and down buttons as volume buttons.

most brands didn’t even care to mention that.

this isn’t too hard to implement.

now…

why would you call his system “fancy”? that was uncalled for, imho.

not wanting do dwell on a nonissue, just saying :slight_smile:

Thanks a bunch, beatmaster!

@Tony:

Our satellite receiver remotes all have the same navigation cross as the WDTV hub remote has. Left/right for switching programmes, up/down for volume control.

Every button sends a unique signal to the box - and everything the box does then is a software thing.

A really ‘fancy’ example:

I’ve got a SIEMENS S670H DECT phone and an AVM router with DECT functionality. These 2 brands/models have nothing in common and are definitely not made for each other (AVM has its own phones for their routers: http://www.avm.de/de/Produkte/FRITZFon/index.php ).

But what AVM did was a really fantastic reverse engeneering on most of the SIEMENS DECT phones (even models that are around 10 years old now!!) and integrated phone controlled router placed telephone books, phone controllable router placed multiple telephone-responders per device, missed calls lists from the router incl. callback function, router setup via phone and so on - _ what an amazing work!! _

… and now you come along and want to tell me “The buttons don’t exist.   And a firmware update cannot make buttons appear on the remote, or even change the function of the existing buttons.”…

^^you’re missing it. The button in fact DOES exist AND can be programmed differently within the different areas of the menues (because in fact it’s not the button that’s programmed, but the function that’s started, then the button is pressed).

So in fact there’s no reason why the WD crew doesn’t include volume controls.

(By the way: There are some more guys out here who badly want volume control… do they all have fancy hardware at home?? For business use that function can be important, too… like many others in the idea section).

1 Like