New Release - Firmware Version 2.05.08 for WD TV Live Hub (4/12/11)

I am using an external WD hard drive as I had done previously. I did copy many movies and Pic to the Hub and they worked fine prior to the update. I was able to play off either source. Now I cannot play off either. I reformatted the interal drive and tried again to no avail. I am not a computer wiz but usually can get by. I hope this explains the story a little better.  BTW I can play off the same HD with the earlier media player.  Please help,

Thanks

Well, I would suggest you disable journaling on that HD and see if that improves the situation.

if it doesn’t, then your only alternative may be to roll back to the previous version that worked.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

Thanks, I will give it a try when i gt back home.

First bit of bad firmware for awhile now … V2.05.08 kept on restarting my hub intermittently ( very annoying ), also background menu screen kept on changing brightness whilst navigating through the menu’s ( very irritating ).

Got the hump when it restarted by itself during a movie.

Reloaded firmware v2.04.13 and everything back to normal.

My advice … Wait for the next release !

BarneyRubble wrote:

Good advice (that I should have listened to)  After “upgrading” both of my hubs to 2.05.08 the one with 600MB stored on it now states “internal drive not connected” when I turn it on.  After sending off an e-mail to WD support I tried rolling back to previous FW with no joy. :cry:  My second hub still works although with hyper-gamma and forget the netflix service.

BarneyRubble wrote:

Thats what people said about the release before this one!

I was incredibly disappointed when I emailed customer service about the problems I’m having with v. 2.05.08, and their response was to do an overkill reset then roll back to a previous version of the firmware. I understand doing the reset, but rolling back the firmware? I shouldn’t have to do that. The firmware should just work.

Could someone help me understand what’s going on? Are there different versions of the Hub, with different specs? Is that why some people are having problems and others aren’t? Is the software just buggy? Is the hardware weak?

My box is only 5 months old. Would it help to request a replacement, or would that be pointless?

notmyrealname wrote:

I was incredibly disappointed when I emailed customer service about the problems I’m having with v. 2.05.08, and their response was to do an overkill reset then roll back to a previous version of the firmware. I understand doing the reset, but rolling back the firmware? I shouldn’t have to do that. The firmware should just work.

That’s standard trouble-shooting… if the problem persists, then it likely lies elsewhere… if the problem goes away, then it’s likely a firmware issue.

How dare customer support actually try to help figure out where the problem lies so that it can be resolved.:dizzy_face:

1 Like

RoofingGuy wrote:

How dare customer support actually try to help figure out where the problem lies so that it can be resolved.:dizzy_face:

Thanks, RoofingGuy. Sarcasm is always helpful, especially when you’re dealing with someone who’s frustrated, and it encourages people to ask questions of the community, so kudos.

It works again! :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s the response I got from tech support:

I truly do apologize for the inconvenience. Please try:

a) Pressing the reset button for about 7 seconds. 
b) (If possible) Go to (home) >> “Settings” >> “System” >> “Device Reset” >> “Reset to factory defaults”. 
c) Turn of the WDTV, unplug it, wait 10 minutes and then reconnect the unit. 

I had to try more than once but it did eventually work again and (possibly being a ■■■■■■ for punishment) I even upgraded the FW again.  No idea why this was a problem for the 2 month old hub and not the 6 month old one but they’re both up and running again so I’m happy.

How many new firmware releases must we wait for the support of 

TP-LINK TL-WN821N Version 3.0 Wireless USB Stick

djemile wrote:

How many new firmware releases must we wait for the support of 

TP-LINK TL-WN821N Version 3.0 Wireless USB Stick

What makes you think WD can do anything to support the chipset on this device? A simple Google search turns up a lot of issues with this device operating under Linux. If you come across an OPEN SOURCE driver for the device then let WD know.

notmyrealname wrote:

RoofingGuy wrote:

Thanks, RoofingGuy. Sarcasm is always helpful, especially when you’re dealing with someone who’s frustrated, and it encourages people to ask questions of the community, so kudos.

What about others that get slightly frustrated because some bash on standard and basic troubleshooting steps?

When you bash on things as straight forward and vital as a rollback on a firmware to view if the device behaves the same way regardless of the firmware it has, people that come to the community looking for help and things to try will read that, and eventually want to not try those things. His sarcasm is less damaging to this community than you suggesting not to go through the most elemental step short of a reset to the unit. 

Being frustrated about an issue should evoke a need to try everything you can to solve the issue, not to disregard technical support and much less to act as a victim when called out about it. 

New WDTVLH user here. I am on 2.02.19 off the box. and the unit is prompting me if i want to upgrade to the new version 2.04.13, and not 2.05.08. Perhaps they have already reverted and removed 2.05.08?

EDIT: I pursued the upgrade to 2.04.13, and now its asking me to upgrade to 2.05.08.  Thanks to the feedback on this thread, I will pass on this one.

You could accomplish the same thing without the sarcasm. His advice was actually good and made sense, and I really did appreciate it, but the snide remark at the end wasn’t helpful or necessary. It was just arrogant and rude.

Guys, Let’s keep this thread on topic or I will start pulling posts. 

A few problems I have found…

1. The time and weather do not display.
  2. The media library rebuilds itself every time you navigate into videos/music/photos
  3. The unit reboots itself fairly often whilst watching videos.
  4. The video displays settings default back to 720p 50Hz after a restart.
  5. The GUI is pretty slow after the upgrade.
  6. It automatically turns itself on after a period of time. (After pushing the power button on the remote)

Have not had time to test the rest of the features, but so far – not so good.

Is it possible to downgrade?

1->  That indicates you have a network problem.

2->  It shouldn’t be doing that.   It should only rebuild the media library if:

for NAS:  When you power cycle the box or FORCE a rebuild

for Local Storage:   When something on the local HD or USB file system is changed

3->  Not unheard of, but not at all common.

4->  A few people have reported this issue, but not many.

5->  After the upgrade from what to what?

6->  Well, pushing the power button on the remote is SUPPOSED to turn it on. :slight_smile:   Or, are you saying that when it is OFF, that it comes ON by itself?   If so, that indicates a power cycle, like a short interuption of the power supply.

Yes, you can downgrade:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

I have downgraded to 2.04.13, The time is working again.

Problems solved.

Due to the release of a new firmware update for the WD TV Live Hub, I will be closing this thread.