New Release - Firmware Version 2.05.08 for WD TV Live Hub (4/12/11)

IronSpine wrote:

Argus: Based on my custom theme it appears they may have either changed the way the scroll speed scale works compared to before or otherwise made a change that affects the speed.

On mine, it now scrolls extraordinarily slow. In fact it looks like it’s per pixel.

I am using “OsdModHub 1.0” theme. I have the data in xml files created by the hub. The display of text was ok until recently (maybe a bit slow, but just readeable), but now is like on a race track… :slight_smile:

Anyhow, this update does not resolve any of the issues that I have had the pleasure to be dealing with (and I have no use of Netflix), so I have downgraded back to 2.04.13. 

Have fun! :slight_smile:

Hi

A big thank you to the WD R&D engineers for fixing the S/P DIF validity flag bug. I am now getting sound using the Toslkink output into my Linn Majik DS-I; absolutely fantastic!

Thanks again for responding to this so swiftly and fixing that issue.

Bri :smiley:

It seemed to me that the brightnes is blown out only in interface, the movies are ok. When set to RGB HIGH setting, the interface is ok, but the movies get too dark.

I got Panasonic Viera TX-P50G20E plasma.

Is CinemaNow available worldwide or U.S. only like Netflix?

in France no cinemanow…

Does this firmware release have the full screen or stretch view (not the zoom) for watching videos feature? 

It’s really annoying watching videos in different sizes.

Hopefully this firmware release has this feature so all of us can maximize our TV’s viewing area.

I’m sure all of us would want this.

1 Like

Deathwing:  No, it doesn’t.   And no, I don’t want it.

Oh well, ill just buy something that does have it and recommend it to my friends.

I stand corrected, not all wants the feature :slight_smile:

I don’t know what’s happening with WD developers and the BETA testers. I’m really sorry to see people requesting features in which it should be implemented by default!!

Some people would disagree me, and that the devs are working hard on the new updates. Well let me tell you, when you sell a products updates should come along with it.

Nothing is perfect, nor firmwares nor US. People are paying for WD products, revenues earned by WD Company, and WD Company is paying the devs, they are working not for free! It’s their job to do the fixes. That’s why they get paid at the end of the month.

If they don’t work hard on the fixes they will get less revenues, there’s big competition in Media servers and consumers would easily return back the unit and get refunds when devices causing headaches.

I’m sure this is not acceptable by the WD managers…I even noticed that no one comments on our issues. I really appreciate WD stuff work but they need to focus and test the firmwares before each release, otherwise open up the Pandora box and let us work on it! I’m sure there’s talented people would fix all the issues and add more features along with it. We are not complaining for just being complaining. The problem there’s less satisfaction from the updates. It’s great to add new features (we are really, really thankful) but at least fix the mentioned bugs in earlier firmwares.

I’m your loyal WD consumer please do consider our issues.

Downloading now

Everything seems to be ok. Playing some random stuff to make sure nothing is broke…

Release 2.05.08 (4/12/11)

• Supports Arabic, Hebrew and Polish languages user interfaces.
  • Supports Netflix 3.0 Application.
  • Supports CinemaNow Application.
  • Supports folder locking (Parental Control).
  • Supports search auto complete in search function.
  • Resolved playback problems with certain .m2ts files.
  • Resolved playback problems with .vob files.
  • Resolved YouTube problem where user playlists don’t display.
  • Resolved playback problem where the info bar does not hide in DVD on pause/resume/chapter skip.
  • Resolved problem with Flingo stability. 

interesting, they did not even released a beta version.

downloading it now.

arrg, still buggy, still when i pause the video when watching most of it, it says unable to play file, and the sound still runs in the background, and cant play any other media unitl i restart it.

Anyone know how the parental controll works? Nice feature lots have people have been waiting for, but no instructions that I can find. Even tried to redownload the user manual…

When I started to complete the upgrade, the Hub rebooted 3 times during the process and then didn’t come back on my screen and the light on the front was off. I felt that the fan and disk was still running, but the Hub wouldn’t react to my remote or the power button on the unit itself. I unplugged the unit after about 5 minutes of it not responding and then it came back on, but with the previous firmware installed. I completed the upgrade again and it worked. Just a heads up to everyone. But the firmware itself is working just fine now.

WD devs played also with the GUI brightness, I prefer the previous firmware brightness settings, after upgrading the menu looks brighter. I have the Bravia HX800 with nice deep black colors. Now the black looks awful > greyish :(

I just hate now also the Screen saver… TOO BRIGHT! :frowning:

Even the Arabic language setting should be written like that   – > العربية  not vice versa ة ي ب ر ع ل ا .

Please restore back the Brightness / Gamma level, or just give us in the menu the ability to adjust  the brightness, contrast, saturation, gamma levels as we want.

Please WD team consider the issues, I’m downloading the downgrade file:

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/Rollback_wdtvlivehub_release_2.04.13.zip  to roll back :frowning:

Regards.

1 Like

Still no 5.1 PCM from blurays XD

I restored the 2.04.13  now the GUI  colors looks perfect!

Nice with a new update. But I haven’ t seen them ever adressing the biggest bugs in their firmware.

-The Live Hubs total lack of ability to play songs in random mode. Right now it only plays the same 50 (or so) songs closest to the one you started playing first in a more or less random order. So even if you have 1000 songs in the folder it will only play the same 50 songs over and over. 

This should be an easy bug to fix. As it is now the live hub in itself is totally useless as a music jukebox. Until they fix this I would strongly suggest anyone who plans on using the hub for this purpose to stay away.

-It would also be nice if the box were able to create playlists, and recieve playlists from external programs like Twonkymobile.

-I see that they have improved something about the search function. But after the update mine is still unable to find anything no matter what you search for. When I hit the “Submit” button nothing ever happens. I will try to completly rebuild the media library and see if that helps, but am quite sure it will not do anything.

-The hub is also sometimes unable to see new files added to it’s internal drive. They wount show anywhere unless you switch the media library off. Then they will appear. But it’s really unpractical to keep switching between the two modes like that.

-I also think that the onboard harddrive is extremly slow. Copying files from my laptop to it takes ages even if the hub is hardwired to my router. I have also tried to copy files from the same laptop to other network harddrives and a media center and that takes only a fraction of the time. And don’t ever try to extract a zip file stored on the internal drive to the same drive. This takes so long that you will save a lot of time moving the file to your laptop. Extracting it there and then move the extracted files back to the device.

-The device also moves extremly slow through librarys with a long pause for each time they load a new screen. So if you have more than 100 files in a folder you can just give up on accessing more than the first 100 files cause it takes too long. My ultracheap mp3-player have no problem scrolling through hundreds of files in a few seconds.

-The hub also keeps stopping playback in the middle of some video files that my media center have no problem playing from end to end. I have to find out where in the file it stopped, then manually skip to a few seconds later in the file to resume playback.

-I have managed to get an external keyboard to work with the hub, but only the letters. The arrows and enter keys wount work. So I have to use the remote for that. Mayby this is supported in other external keyboards, but am suspecting not.

The only thing the update did for me was adjusting the brightness of the screensaver so it now looks washed out and ugly. So if you don’t need any of the netflix updates I strongly suggest you don’t upgrade cause none of the problems I have had with the device seems to have been improved.

If they don’t adress some of the important issues with their firmware I am just putting the whole box away and going back to my media center. That took a long time to start up but at least it worked when it had booted.

I really don’t see why they are not able to at least fix the easier bugs like make a random/shuffle-function that actually works (every single other mp3-player, dvd-player, pc, mobile phone etc I have ever had has been able to do this with very limited memory and cpu). Then I would be willing to mayby forgive the general slowness of everything about the  whole device. If you control it via Twonky server on a mobile phone your actually able to find and play the files you would like fast. But it would have been so nice to be able to also control it directly…

1 Like

It might be an idea to continue this thread under the official release post as normal.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-2-05-08-for-WD-TV-Live-Hub-4-12-11/td-p/170734