New Firmware Release - Version 2.03.24 for the WD TV Live Hub (12/30/10)

There have been reports of not being able to get the HUB to flash the firmware.  I do have a suggestion, but as I haven’t had this problem I can’t say that this will work for the HUB, but is the method for “Cold boot” flashing the firmware for one of my other media player, which is basically updating the firmware without having to use the UI.  So if you can’t get the HUB to boot &  basically have a brick, then you may want to try this since you don’t have anything to lose & this doesn’t involve cracking open the case & voiding the warranty.

First, download the firmware, then extract it to a USB thumbdrive format as FAT32.  Open the .ver file and change the version # to one higher than the one you already have & then save it & safley uplug it from your PC.  Go to the HUB and unplug the power cord, then plug the thumbdrive in.  Press & hold the rest button, while holding the rest button plug in the power cord.  Once the HUB powers on you can release the rest button.  Now, cross your fingers & pray that the HUB goes into update mode.

As I said, this is the “Cold boot” flashing method for another of my media players, & may not work on the HUB, but since WD doesn’t have any documentaiton on “Cold boot” flashing the firmware (that I could find), this may be worth a shot.