My Media Library

Could someone explain this in English?

It’s from the General info of the product update page regarding 3.01.19:

• Note: Media library functionality of the NAS will be only available when using the “My Media Library” as the content source. When the source is a Network share the Media library functionality on the NAS will not be available.

I think this was the issue I was just dealing with using the search function. When you add remote network drives to the media library they become indexed. Thus when you choose “my media library” as your content source you can use the search function etc. When you connect to them as network shares instead, that functionality is not available.

worked for me. highlight the network share or folder on a network share, hit options and then add them to the media library. then choose “my media library” as your content source and you will see them listed there.

HTH

-P

I’m confused. You say:

“When you connect to them as network shares instead, that functionality is not available.”

So connecting as a network share doesn’t work.

But then you say:

“highlight the network share or folder on a network share, hit options and then add them to the media library”

What’s the difference between “connecting to them as network shares” and “highlight the network share or folder on a network share”?

You can still connect via network share, you just do not get some of the functionality if you do not add that share to your media library

Okay, so say ou are you click on the “videos” icon. You see whatever your default view is, or basicaly the last place you have been (local drive on the hub, network share etc) When you then hit the red “B” button, you are activating the “content source menu” that allows you to choose where you are going to watch your videos from. In FW 3.01.19 your options are

My Media Library

Local Storage

Media Server

Network Share

Online Service

each one also has sub options when you choose them. So when you choose network share, although you can connect to a share on your network, you cannot use the search functionality (and I am sure a bunch of other options that I am not yet aware of) You can still see and play your movies though.

When you add a share or directory to you media library, it then appears under the “My Media Library” option when you select that as your content source. Once you have done this, you can then search that folder using the search button or your keyboard etc.

It seems to me that if you have a lot of content in a lot of different places, “my media library” is a good way to aggragate all of that into one spot instead of having to connect ot each different drive or computer when you want something on it. Plus you of course can now search your content,m which is pretty nice.

Hope this clear this up for you

-P

pearl wrote:

worked for me. highlight the network share or folder on a network share, hit options and then add them to the media library. then choose “my media library” as your content source and you will see them listed there.

HTH

-P

Thanks for this shortcut pearl. I have been adding locations to the Media Library by going through the Setup > System > Media Library > Media Library Manager. This is a nice shortcut. I really like the changes that the new firmware makes to the Media Library.  The user manual really needs to be updated. But then again who reads the manual? :smiley: The rescan option is also really useful. This is how the Media Library should have been from the beginning|:smiley:

1 Like

OK, thanks Pearl.

I had mentioned in another post regarding thumbs not showing when I updated the firmware. I found I had chosen either the Media Server or the Network Share (I forget which one) and the thumbs weren’t there. When I chose the other, they showed up. Based on what you said, it was probably the Network Share. I think I’m going to  update again and do the suggestions I’ve read like reseting the hub afterwards.

Cool Cosber, let us know if that solves your issues. I do get my folder JPEGs and Movie JPEGs ( ISO, AVI, etc) regardless of if I access the movies through network share or via my media library. I have not really played around with the media server option yet so cannot speak for that. From what I have read so far, I dont understand why I would go that route instead of media library. Maybe someone here can elaborate on that option.

-P