ISSUE: mp4 video combined with srt subtitle - lag/stutter

Hello there,

I am new to this forum. I was searching for earlier references to my problem but haven’t found any so far. I have an issue with mp4 video files (mostly 720p some 1080p) in combination with srt subtitle files. When I use the subtitles i.e. enable them during playback, the video playback lags/stutters and after a few seconds I lose audio. When I turn the subtitles off during playback whilst stuttering, the video catches up again and audio is resumed!

I have found a workaround, by converting the mp4 into mkv, but this issue should really be resolved because the converting process takes ages. The Live TV Hub should play these files in combination like it advertises.

Hopefully this can be taken care of in the next firmware update.

Regards,

Are you trying to play your files through the network or your files are in a USB drive that is connected directly to the WD TV Live Hub?

Thank you for your response. The files are on the internal hard drive.Playing the same files over network or USB makes no difference.

Yesterday I’ve discovered a second workaround which takes significantly less time. By renaming the mp4 file to mkv and merging the subtitle file into the mkv, the video will play flawlessly. Renaming to mkv but leaving the srt file separate will still result in stuttering and loss of audio. The merging takes around 45 minutes for files that are allready on the drive. Better network performance would have increased this speed, but I understand that this is limited by the chipset.

(Too bad the supposed 1Gb ethernet doesn’t do what it advertises to do)

I hope this bug will soon be fixed. Because the mentioned solution to create a mkv out of it with the subtitle in it is a bit time consuming.

I have had the same problem with a 720p .mp4 file (from the WDTV Live Hub harddisk) which sometimes stops and video stutters, audio is gone and after that plays again. It happend quite a few times in a movie of 1.30 hour. This problem still occurs in the latest firmware 2.07.17