How to revert (downgrade) to an earlier firmware version

Because of the WD guys work “really hard” and the result is a broken firmware upgrade after another, this article might be interesting for you.

I found this article on the internet forum - thanks to the author!

Warning: Western Digital does not officially support firmware downgrading. Use this method at your own risk!

Many users have used the following method for downgrading from a more recent release (e.g. 1.02.00 or an unofficial firmware), to an earlier release (1.00.01, 1.01.02 etc). Basically, it is the same process as the firmware upgrade, except for modifying the wdtv.ver file to trick the WD TV to recognize the older firmware as being new:

* Download the older firmware to your computer

* Uncompress the firmware ZIP file to the root folder of a memory stick or hard disk: there are 2 files wdtv.ver and wdtv.bin

* Open file “wdtv.ver” with Notepad
Change VERSION=‘1.xx.xx’ to VERSION=‘1.xx.xx+1’ (or any number higher than the current version installed)

* Perform the normal firmware upgrade procedure
Plug the USB memory or disk into the WD TV, which will recognize a new firmware (because 1.03.00 is higher than e.g. 1.01.02)
Press HOME, and then select the Settings bar.
Select the firmware upgrade icon, and then press ENTER.
You are prompted to perform the firmware upgrade.

* When done, the WDTV (system menu “About”) will report the correct firmware version, not the “fake” version in “wdtv.ver”

Note #1 : The procedure remains the same for any firmware flash (not necessarily a downgrade), where the firmware is not recognized as new because of the version number in the WDTV.VER file.

Note #2 : It is highly recommended that a hard reset (using the button) be performed both before and after the procedure.

That’s all folks!

1 Like

There’s nothing new in your post.

How about just following WD’s INSTRUCTIONS?!

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

Hi there,

there is no such a thing like Settings bar!

Just bought today the WD TV Live and I upgraded by mistake to the latest version of software (1.07.xx) but when I try this method I just cannot do it because what you say is wrong.

Do you own a WD Live Hub, if not, you are in the wrong forum. The FW version you quoted does not exist for the hub.

If I am at 2.07.17 and want to try 3.03.13 can I just put 3.03.13’s files on my thumdrive and do it without going to 2.08.13 first? If I do end up at 3.03.13 and don’t like it can I rollback directly to 2.07.17?

Just making sure I don’t brick the Hub…

flhthemi wrote:

If I am at 2.07.17 and want to try 3.03.13 can I just put 3.03.13’s files on my thumdrive and do it without going to 2.08.13 first? If I do end up at 3.03.13 and don’t like it can I rollback directly to 2.07.17?

Just making sure I don’t brick the Hub…

Yes, you can go up and down as you wish.

Download the firmware from the WD site below and follow the instructions.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860