How does WD recognize TV Show? Firmware Version 3.00.28

The internal scraper is basically doing the same thing, but it puts the backdrops in their OWN folder.  

I wouldn’t be too worried about it…  The location of the backdrops themselves isn’t really that critical in my opinion.

1 Like

How do you use a different meta search engine for TV shows? I just need to do it for my American Dad collection, it appears there is a mix up with TVDB and how it is all listed, I dont really wanna redo it all.

I have checked the XML document that is produced with the XML converter application against the document that the Hub now produces, and the previous XML docs contain the backdrops within the generated xml document itself whereas the new version does not.

It is odd as it works perfectly fine with my movies…I have checked the XML document generated for movies, and the backdrops DO appear in the xml document with the new version and the backdrops display correctly.

I am not sure if this is a bug or not.

I realise having the backdrops is not critical to the functionality, but it was a nice little feature which was the icing on the cake of this wonderful machine :smiley:

davep1 wrote:

I have checked the XML document that is produced with the XML converter application against the document that the Hub now produces

I am not sure if this is a bug or not.

I’m not sure which “XML converter” application you’re talking about, but if you’re talking about the one that I wrote (the XML Fetcher), it will do both, depending on how you set the options.

You can set it to download the backdrops and store them locally, or use the server-provided backdrops.

If the XML is referring to server-provided backdrops, the Hub will now DOWNLOAD them, and store them locally.   The XML will continue to point to the server, but the Hub will load them from the LOCAL cache.

The behavior is the same whether it’s a TV Show or a Movie.

It’s not a bug.  It is a change that WD made that SIGNIFICANTLY improves performance, and lessens the demand on the HTTP servers out in the internet.

1 Like

Yes the XML fetcher that you wrote works perfectly fine and of course does include the backdrops which works perfectly well, I am referring to the way the new function works through the HUB.  The information such as episode, title and description are downloaded and displayed correctly but the backdrops do not display at all.

It does display correctly with the movies but for some reason the backdrops do not display for the TV shows.

…iiiiiinteresting.

I hadn’t had that problem on mine.

Are you using NAS storage or USB or INTERNAL disk?

Im using USB 2tb storage for TV and a seperate 2tb storage for movies (both exactly the same).  The odd thing is as I have mentioned, I have no issue with geting the info for movies; backdrops display correctly as well as the info  etc, however for some reason for TV eps, I cant get the backdrops to display.

As a further note; I did attempt to do the same thing with TV eps onto the internal storage on the Hub, but again to no avail. Episode name etc all displayed correctly but alas no backdrops :cry:

Suggestions…??

davep1 wrote:

Suggestions…??

Sorry, no.   I just tried it myself, and can confirm that what you’re reporting is true for USB devices.   It does work correctly for NAS.

The SMP *is* correctly DOWNLOADING the Backdrops, but it is NOT displaying them. 

Hmmmmm.  Good catch.

Go search the ISSUEs subforum, and if it hasn’t already been reported, open a detailed issue and paste the link back in here.

1 Like

Cheers Tony…will do.

For the record; the tvdb.com xml converter for the HUB that you wrote, ROCKS!! Have been using it for months and love it!

Thanks.

davep1 wrote:

Cheers Tony…will do.

For the record; the tvdb.com xml converter for the HUB that you wrote, ROCKS!! Have been using it for months and love it!

Thanks.

Glad you find it useful! 

I have opened a detailed issue with regards to the backdrop problem:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/TV-Show-backdrops-not-displaying-with-USB-storage/idi-p/298718

I’ve changed all my TV Show file names so that the Auto Get Info process works correctly.  The only thing I notice is that the shows aren’t in correct chronological order.  For example, as you move from left to right in the episodes, it goes:

S01E01, S01E10-19, S01E02-24, S01E03, S01E04, S01E05, S01E06, S01E07, S01E08, S01E09

I played around with sorting by name or date, but I still cannot get file #1 to be episode #1, and so on.  

Is there a way to get it in order S01E01 - S01E24 using firmware 3.00.28?

Friday949 wrote:

Is there a way to get it in order S01E01 - S01E24 using firmware 3.00.28?

You’ll have to modify the TITLE TAG in the XML to put a leading zero before the episode numbers in episodes 1-9.

1 Like

Tony, what is the best method for editing an XML file? Also, how do you get the auto scan to actually run, seems mine is running some times at random intervals & getting tv info & then at other times, just does nothing.

I used a tool called TEXTCRAWLER, a free download, to change all SINGLE-DIGIT Episode Numbers to TWO-DIGIT Episode Numbers with a leading zero.

Use the INPUT FOLDER tab.

I set the FILE FILTER to “*.xml”

START LOCATION set to the ROOT of the share, so that it does them ALL at the same time.

UNCHECK Case Sensitive, Multi-line Anchors, and Dot Matches Newline.

Use the REGULAR EXPRESSION tab.

Set RegEx to:  (\d)\s-\s(\d)\s

Set “Replace” to:  $1[space]-[space]0$2[space]

Make sure you change [space] to an actual SPACE when you type.

Also, that character BEFORE the “$2” is a ZERO, not an OH.

So, in TEXT, that Replace String is spelled “Dollar One Space Hyphen Space Zero Dollar Two Space”

Then click the REPLACE button, and follow the prompts.

I would recommend you copy all your XML files to a safe place before starting.   That way if you mess it up, you can just restore them back.

If you just want to do it by hand, use Microsoft’s XML Notepad (Another free download.)

3 Likes

thanks Tony, very good info, much appreciated, any ideas as to why the get info for TV Show autoscans pretty much when it wants? Is there a trigger for this or something I need to do specifically to get it started?

I’m not sure when the auto intervals do the scanning.   If you want to FORCE a rescan, just go to the folder, select OPTION, and select RESCAN.

However, if you’ve modified XML, a RESCAN does NOT mean Re-IMPORT.    If you re-do your XML, you’ll need to clear the media library completely.  That is the only way I know of the re-import the XML.

Hi Tony,

I think I’m missing at least one critical step in getting my TV series episodes to show in Gallery view in correct sequential order.

I have episode files named “MacGyver.S01E01.iso” through “MacGyver.S01E22.iso”. I performed Get Info on all of them which found all episode info correctly. The resulting display was out of order in that S1 E1 was followed by S1 E10, etc. I then edited each of the 01-09 XML files to change the TITLE areas from “MacGyver Season 1 - 1 Pilot” to “MacGyver Season 1 - 01 Pilot” as appropriate. The resultant displayed order did not change. I can see the screen flick quickly from “1 Pilot” to “01 Pilot” as I scroll but things are still out of order.

Can you tell me which steps I’m leaving out?

Thanks for all your help.

“Not Richard”

Nevermind!  lol.

My question post was started a few minutes ago but not sent until you replied to someone else and answered my question.

I need to clear the libary and recreate it…  :slight_smile:

“Not Richard”

I have done the Folder, option & rescan, & again it just scans & gets info when it wants to