Bug fix priority

I know that everybody has their own ideas about what is most important in a media player, but surely everybody agrees that basic functions for playing audio and video files should work as described. Is there anyway to get WD to put basic bug fixes at a higher priority than adding new features?

I know that fixing something that doesn’t work or that was broken isn’t as sexy as adding new features, but surely very basic fixes should come first? The Screensaver stops audio playback and broken playlists are two bugs that have appeared in the latest update. If those bugs are not fixed in the next update then WD should be ashamed of itself, especially as WD broke them when they were working. However there are bugs that have been reported 3 or 4 months that haven’t been fixed - FLAC files are listed in reverse order, audio files playback in the wrong sequence. I reported the last bug to WD support in April and it hasn’t been fixed. Does WD have a way to escalate a bug report to a higher priority?

5 Likes

It´s all about Apps

like new mobile phone

Lets make it so we can just instal or remove App ourselves,

and firmware upgrade to be about fixing bugs and ading advanced video and music features/options?

2 Likes

foetus wrote:

It´s all about Apps

like new mobile phone

Lets make it so we can just instal or remove App ourselves,

and firmware upgrade to be about fixing bugs and ading advanced video and music features/options?

I suggested something similar a long time ago. Make the firmware modular. First make the core functionality like audio and video playback reliable. Then release plug-ins for Netflix, games or whatever. Everybody would download the core. If you didn’t want to play games you don’t download it. If you aren’t in the USA you don’t download the Netflix module. This would mean that the core could be smaller and simpler, so hopefully there would be less chance of bugs and it would be easier to fix any that did creep in. It would also take less time to download and maybe it would improve performance if the HUB didn’t have to load up a lot of stuff that a lot of users doesn’t want or can’t use. This is how Linux works and I know at least one manufacturer that makes it’s NAS firmware modular. You download the main firmware for the NAS. If you want BitTorrent you download a plug-in. If the NAS performance is poor unload the unnecessary plug-ins.

I subscribe to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) :wink:

3 Likes

I hear ya!

I’ve suggested this also in new ideas with little response. I would like to have the ability to remove apps that I will never use.

It seems Facebook fixes take priority over audio issues.

Mediamaster wrote:

I’ve suggested this also in new ideas with little response. I would like to have the ability to remove apps that I will never use.

It seems Facebook fixes take priority over audio issues.

I just voted for your idea. I’ll see if I get any response to my idea.