v2.3 released: WDTVHubGen - Looks up Movies, TV Shows and creates XML for the Hub

crashes as soon as I run it:

I had the same problem with the one I originally uploaded, I did fix that and reuploaded as soon as I saw it.  The zip file contains two programs, unzip and install them…  Also it requires v4.0 of the .net framework, but it should tell you that.

WOW, man… just WOW

:dizzy_face:

Thank you…

NoSlack913 wrote:

I had the same problem with the one I originally uploaded, I did fix that and reuploaded as soon as I saw it.  The zip file contains two programs, unzip and install them…  Also it requires v4.0 of the .net framework, but it should tell you that.

I DLed this about 15 mins before I posted. I ran the .msi file first then the .exe file which just asked me to repair which I did. but no change. yes I have .NET Framework 4.0 installed.

I am worried that no one has this working, can someone verify that they were able to download and install this program and get it successfully working?

i would appreciate it.

thanks.

Not I as u can see above. If the designer wants any sort of logs or information to sort out this bug let me know what you need.

All,

I have updated the download (and screen shots)  the installer i was using wasn’t(isn’t working well) so I’m just going to give you the non-installer version (see first post with link) and i added some little error correction and some logging so I can keep with whatsup…

i would appreciate a note from anyone who has successfully installed and gets it working, would take a load off of my mind.

thanks

Jeff

Well, nothing installs, per se…

When I run it, I get plenty of info in the detail panel, but all the SAVE buttons are greyed out…

And there’s a “Broken Link” icon where I suspect the thumbnails would show in the detail panel…

Hmmm… did you download the 1.0.3 .zip file  that is just copied to a directory??  The broken link icon should only show if it can’t find the thumbnail (which is moviename.jpg)

are you pointing it at a file that doesn’t have the .xml file? if you are then double click on the listbox (or right click and press Look up info…)

I should probably write a user manual at this point. :slight_smile:

can you verify you have .jpg files in your install directory (they are all called some form of notfound#.jpg)

Tony, I know you have done a lot of work on your program and really welcome any feedback on this one.

thanks

Jeff

Tony,

Found the bug you were referring to, on the TVShow tab.  Fixed it and updated the .zip file for download. I think will investigate adding a “autoupdate” feature to the program so I dont have to keep updating when I find bugs :slight_smile: i’m sure that will not be today. thanks again.

NoSlack913 wrote:

Tony, I know you have done a lot of work on your program and really welcome any feedback on this one.

thanks

Jeff

Feedback??   How’s THIS?    Your work makes me look like the amateur programmer I am!   :smileyvery-happy:

It looks really nifty.   I haven’t taken the time to really put it through its paces yet…   About to immerse myself in my daughter’s birthday party.  :)

NoSlack913,

I have not been able to run the program at all.  I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, with .NET 4 installed (did a repair of the install again, just in case).  When I duble-click your exe file, I get the spinning circle for a few seconds, and then nothing happens.  Any idea what am I doing wrong? Is the program not supported in a 64-bit OS? Please let me know.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart

Bart,

I know this is a funny question, but when did you install?  I figured out that the installer I am using was causing issues, so I switched to a .zip file that you simple unzip into a directory, and then just run the .exe file.  The program was built on a 64bit Win7 Ultimate machine, so I"m positive that isn’t it.

(NOTE: EDITED to new location) wdtvhubgen.codeplex.com  is the location of the zip file, please let me know if you try this one and it still doesn’t work.  I reocmmend first uninstalling whatever you have installed. then just downloading this zip. picking a directory and unzipping into it, and running the exe.

thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

Idid exactly as you suggested, again (I had done it like that before).  I still get the same results, that is, spinning circle for a few seconds, then nothing.  Any thoughts?

Regards,

Bart

Shoot.  there is a file that “should” be getting created in the c:\temp directory call ApplicationLog.log, cna you send me that file, I’ll send you a PM with my email.  I appreciate your help.

Jeff

I get an error WDTVHubGen has stopped working

this is from the log

NoSlack913 wrote:

Shoot.  there is a file that “should” be getting created in the c:\temp directory call ApplicationLog.log, cna you send me that file, I’ll send you a PM with my email.  I appreciate your help.

Jeff

2011-03-27 19:16:17,174 [1] DEBUG Starting Up
2011-03-27 19:16:17,182 [1] DEBUG About to Launch Form

I have been seeing that error from others, not sure what is causing it.  i updated the program to include much much more logging.

just created and added a new version 1.0.4 as a zip file in (NOTE: edited with new location) wdtvhubgen.codeplex.com

can you download that, unzip right on top of your old version (overwrite if prompted) and then run it. if it works great, if not can you post the new log file.

thanks! you are all helping me figure this out, never thought it would be an install problem, thought it would be something funky :slight_smile:

Just found a weird and interesting error.  It appears that the WDTV Hub doesn’t create “well formed” XML.  the problem seems to be ampersands.  it literally puts an & in the XML when it should put in & which is well formed.  What this means is that SOME files created by the hub and attempting to read with a regular XML reader that “deserializes” and expects well formed XML will fail… what a bummer.

any programmers with hints on how to override deserialization and check for this henious error?

thanks

Jeff

New version works

thanks

Ok, so to deal with the badly formed XML coming out of the Hub, i added some code to my program to find those files and not “process them” so the program thinks those aren’t valid anymore adn will ask you to process them… then it will create them itself and save them (of course now they are fully formed)

i updated the version number for this one. it si now call 1.0.5 and located in (Edited with new location) wdtvhubgen.codeplex.com

please let me know if that fixes your problem

thanks
Jeff