Music CD collection encoded as FLAC working great

Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried this last night with success.  The song ordering is indeed correct if your filenames have the track number in front.  Since I have the ‘display by title’ option selected, it suppresses the ugly filename.  I do have to agree with the previous poster that an alphabetical ordering of the songs from an album is just not the way and should not be the default.  When the track number tag is right there in the file, why not use it as it was presumably intended?  I think alphabetical title listing would be appropriate for displaying all tracks from a given artist, which may span multiple albums.  Configurability is probably the key.  Let users decide how they’d like to have it displayed.  The GUI was always my concern with these media players before I ever purchase one, since this is an obvious key potential weakness compared to a full-blown media PC running say Windows Media Center for example.

Even without the numbering prefix, I find the filenames ugly and unartistic, so henceforth I will change my filenaming structure, which is simple to adjust in EAC.  For my already ripped .flac’s, it’s actually quite easy to do on a batch basis using a nifty little program called MP3TAG.  I will be making a little Paypal donation to the clever author of this very useful tool.

Rising to the top of my beef list is the queue feature.  It has the potential for greatness, but has a few critical glitches that make it **bleep** a little, such as:

• new songs added are not recognized unless queue play is stopped/started, even though they can be seen in the queue song list

• deletion of songs from the queue causes the song currently playing to suddenly stop (why!?)

In my view, the queue should be an endless party where you just add and delete songs as you want and the music just keeps going and going unless it reaches the end of the queue or you press stop.  Fun, yes?

-M