Mkv made unplayable by mkvmerge GUI Header Editor

Hi. I can create (with MakeMKV) and happily play an mkv file on my WDTVLH (f/w 2.07.17). But if I use the mkvmerge GUI Header Editor on that mkv, seemingly in any  way whatsoever (even change existing entry → save → undo change → save) the WDTVLH then barfs with “Unable to play the selected file. Please see the User Manual for a list of supported file formats.”. I believe 2.07.17 has screwed things up; I’m pretty sure the previous firmware worked fine in this scenario, but I’m hoping someone might have some insight here, or even workaround… Many thanks in advance…

There are problems with header compression, and have been for a while now.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply but yes, I’d seen mention of header compression grief elsewhere. Strangely/interestingly some mkvs I tweaked the flags of this evening (in the same way as before) subsequently played fine, whether I’d ticked or unticked the header compression option! There’s something subtle going on I reckon, and I’m not convinced that it’s not in some way linked to the source DVD. Anyway…

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

There are problems with header compression, and have been for a while now.

As far as I know, the Header Compression issue was fixed a LONG time ago.   Did it come back?   In fact, I don’t remember it ever affecting the Live Hub.