Internal fan question

Hi

As I;'m not using the unit with an internal hard drive, I wondered if it was safe to unplug the fan, assuming it is there to mostly cool the HDD?.  Was also thinking about putting a small heatsink on the Sigma chip, but I guess without some airflow too, this might be detrmental.

thanks

joe

Guess I’ll just have to try it with the lid off and check the heat off the main chip.

Bearing in mind that the other WD players do not have fans and some instances no heatsinks I would say it may be OK. If you suddenly start to get freezing or other problems when you will have to reconnect it.

Pretty sure the chip will shut itself down if it gets too hot…Tony or KAD might know for sure.

Thanks guys.  I will be testing it out as soon as my more discreet component cables arrive.

As a bit of background, I bought the unit 2nd hand and was advertised as having an intermittently faulty HDMI out.  Our old tv only has component so not really a problem,  I was curious though and tried the WD with my pc monitor (1920x1080 native) and found the HDMI to work, albeit with some graphic anomolies…some pixels lit bright green, scattered about like glitter on a Christmas card.  Works fine with component so not really fussed, but would be interested to hear if this is a known problem and can be fixed in anyway.

So it was faulty and without an internal drive.

richUK wrote:

So it was faulty and without an internal drive.

The hdmi was classed as faulty and it didn’t have an internal drive, as described honestly in the advert.  Works fine with component though which is what I need it for.

Was it reasonably cheap?

richUK wrote:

Was it reasonably cheap?

You nosy bugger :laughing:.  £30inc, which after looking around, offered the best option for the best regarded/most compatible video file player WITH the all important component out.

1 Like

I did think of saying ‘if you don’t mind’. Bit of a bargain, given that they are now in short supply and you can always put a drive in if you want. It makes a cheap nas.

richUK wrote:

I did think of saying ‘if you don’t mind’. Bit of a bargain, given that they are now in short supply and you can always put a drive in if you want. It makes a cheap nas.

Yeah, I was just kidding.  Does seem like its been well looked after too, the inside and remote being immaculate.  Going to leave it as is and use a USB powered external one.  It would be great to imagine I could fix the hdmi thing, but it does work as I needed it to.

joepineapples wrote:

richUK wrote:

Was it reasonably cheap?

You nosy bugger :laughing:.  £30inc, which after looking around, offered the best option for the best regarded/most compatible video file player WITH the all important component out.

Good choice.

While I have this thread still open, does anyone know if there’s a way of making the lower quality youtube clips, fullscreen?

joe

?

thay should be fullscreen anyway

I assume he means widescreen.

Sorry for late reply.  I need to try some more clips admittedly, but the lower resolution one I tried had a black border all the way round, even taking into account it was a 4:3 format, with expected borders left and right.  720p clips are fine.

I’ll get chance to try some others tommorow.

Tried a few more and most seem ok so I guess it was just something percular with that clip.

Been looking around at the other video services like AOL HD, Vimeo etc and on the whole very impressed, though a shame Vimeo seems to struggle a bit with streaming as some interesting/good vids on there.

I managed to find the ‘zoom & pan’ feature. Handy tool that :smiley:

1 Like

joepineapples wrote:

Congratulations in finding Page 45 of the User Manual :smiley:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705046.pdf

zoomandpan.jpg

Give man a kudos and handshake :wink:

JoeySmyth wrote:

joepineapples wrote:

Congratulations in finding Page 45 of the User Manual :smiley: