Youtube

I’m running v3.11.10 of the device firmware.

Quite often, after playing a YouTube video, especially one that is part of a playlist, my WDTV Live Hub will reboot itself. Incidentally, I have two identical Live Hubs and the problem happens with both of them.

Any ideas?

Like this on the live streaming

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/YouTube-app-causing-device-to-reboot/td-p/571335

Yes, that is the problem.

Apologies for not using the search function properly!

A 35 buck Chromecast will do all that and more  

ClintonHammond wrote:

A 35 buck Chromecast will do all that and more  

Not on its own. Chromecast simply mirrors what’s on another device.

“Mirroring” is an understatment

And it works… the Youtube (And other things) on the WD Hub don’t work.  

ChromeCast wins  

ClintonHammond wrote:

“Mirroring” is an understatment

And it works… the Youtube (And other things) on the WD Hub don’t work.  

ChromeCast wins  

So how do you think it works? 

Quote.

Chromecast doesn’t have a UI as such. There aren’t any settings to configure and it offers no controls with which to select content. You don’t even need to enter your account information for streaming services such as Netflix. All of that is handled by the apps on your secondary control device. Just call up the content you want to display on your device, tap or click the “Cast” icon in the app, and the content jumps over to your TV…

The catch is that it only works for a limited number of apps on each platform. Right now, that means you can use Chromecast with content from the Google Play, Netflix, and YouTube apps. There’s also a Chrome extension that lets your TV mirror your browser window, but that’s about it.

Its rather like  http://www.flingo.org/ which is already built into the WD Player. In fact you can fling youtube from your pc to the WD player.

Chromecast is interesting but there are few things worh noting

1. It’s not technicaly a mirror of your phone etc. The device has it’s own WiFi connection to the cloud which it uses to pull down the media. Your phone just controls what media is being pulled down. So it’s not actually showing what is on your screen.

2. You can’t play any local media that is on your phone/device, which severely limits it’s functionality IMHO

3. It doesn’t charge via the HDMI port, you have to do that seperately which is a drag

4. They have alreay stopped the free three moths of netfix promotion. Although that was due to such a high demand out the gate, I think that was very bad marketing to offer it and then not have it available a day later.

5. and most important, as above, the availale apps are severely limited. Almost everything it does I already have from one of my WD boxes, my Roku, my BluRay player, a computer that’s hooked to my TV (for browsing and XBMC) and even my TV itself. Possibly a neat device, but most of us already have youtube and netflix access.

Cool, sure; game changer? Nah

-P

As I said its similar to Launchpad by flingo. Start the service on the WD Player and then fling videos to the player by using the bookmark button from  http://www.flingo.org/  It works with youtube, vimeo and crunchy roll. You can save the videos to play again and queue up videos to play.

Except that the WD boxes are a long list of broken stuff these days…  

YMMV but Chromecast wins in my book.

(Not that I need it with a PC running XBMC connected directly to my TV… My WD Hub is nothing but storage now…  Youtube broken… Favourites broken… music playing was awful from the get-go and has never, and likely will never improve…  No issues with networking… No issues with file formats…  Games that don’t totally **bleep**…  ) 

Nice richUK. I just tried Flingo for the first time after reading your post and it seems pretty nice. Do I understand the app correctly that you fling the videos into the queue, and then go watch them whenever you would like. They don’t go directly to playing on the screen correct?

Thanks for the tip. 

-P

Haven’t tried flingo, but it seems from reading about it here it’s like a lot of trouble to go queue stuff up.

I will stick with Twonky Beam, so I can instantly “beam” Youtube (and other content) instead of  queuing and “flinging” it to my DLNA devices.  All that is needed is either a smart phone or tablet and the free app on the device; Apple or Android.

This is a way to do it if you don’t have a smart phone / tablet. Its done by the PC browser. No problems to use, in fact you can fling a number of videos to the player and then sit down and watch them.

mike27oct wrote:

Haven’t tried flingo, but it seems from reading about it here it’s like a lot of trouble to go queue stuff up.

I will stick with Twonky Beam, so I can instantly “beam” Youtube (and other content) instead of  queuing and “flinging” it to my DLNA devices.  All that is needed is either a smart phone or tablet and the free app on the device; Apple or Android.

I wish the browser in Twonky Beam had an option for Desktop UA…some sites see my tablet as a mobile device and their mobile site is totally different from the one you see with IE or Chrome on a PC. Or maybe you know some way around this?

flhthemi wrote:

• *> I wish the browser in Twonky Beam had an option for Desktop UA…some sites see my tablet as a mobile device and their mobile site is totally different from the one you see with IE or Chrome on a PC. Or maybe you know some way around this?

Hmm, give me an example of a site that does this.  I have a few websites bookmarked in the TB browser, (npr, pbs) and TB always takes me to the non-mobile site.  I also have the iPad app for both these sites, and they are quite different, as you noted. 

Don’t most mobile sites begin with “m.” so if you remove that from the URL. shouldn’t you go to the non-mobile site?

mike27oct wrote:

flhthemi wrote:

• *> I wish the browser in Twonky Beam had an option for Desktop UA…some sites see my tablet as a mobile device and their mobile site is totally different from the one you see with IE or Chrome on a PC. Or maybe you know some way around this?

Hmm, give me an example of a site that does this.  I have a few websites bookmarked in the TB browser, (npr, pbs) and TB always takes me to the non-mobile site.  I also have the iPad app for both these sites, and they are quite different, as you noted. 

Don’t most mobile sites begin with “m.” so if you remove that from the URL. shouldn’t you go to the non-mobile site?

Ok some confusion on my part… NOT the tablet…the smart phone. But I guess it’s because it’s using Android 2.3…still the option for UA would be nice. I’m about to drop Sprint, go to AT&T and get a new phone…so that might take care of it.
Youtube is m.youtube.com