Which firmware?

Hi all,

I use my WD mainly to watch video. I use the media library/theme part and I’m happy with it - Only problem is the WD likes to reboot… and it like to reboot A LOT! I can watch any movie or series or whatever, but when it’s over and I want to watch something else it will very often ask to reboot - OR just reboot without asking.

This has especially become a problem after the latest “special” firmware upgrade.

I’ve read other people have the same or similar issues but apparently the only solution so far is a firmware rollback.

So my questions are; if I rollback, which version is most stable for video watching?

And also if I rollback the firmware, will I loose all the stuff on it? Or will just the firmware parts be affected?

Hope someone will be inclined to help as it’s beginning to drive me up the wall that I have to sit there and wait 8 minutes every time it reboots, as that’s how long it has to take apparently!

- Also as a sidenote to the WD staff! You guys seriously need to work on stability for this device! It will eat any file as the reviews I read before buying it all said… but if a device is so unstable it’s practically useless in the long run -

Thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

There’s an entire subforum dedicated to firmware. Did you try looking in there?

So my questions are; if I rollback, which version is most stable for video watching?

You will get various opinions on which is the most stable…  Personally,  2.07.17 suits me.

And also if I rollback the firmware, will I loose all the stuff on it? Or will just the firmware parts be affected?

You  wont  lose your media files (movies, music, photos …etc)

But, you will lose features and  online services …  whether these features are important to you… 

is another personal choice / opinion.

1 Like

Thanks Miami_son for stating the obvious…  :stuck_out_tongue: You’re right I should probably have put the topic in the firmware section but other than that my questions still stand as I’ve not been able to find a satisfactory answer to my questions in there.

JoeySmyth wrote:

You will get various opinions on which is the most stable…  Personally,  2.07.17 suits me.

You  wont  lose your media files (movies, music, photos …etc)

But, you will lose features and  online services …  whether these features are important to you… 

is another personal choice / opinion.

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:

wenneberg wrote:

Thanks Miami_son for stating the obvious…  :stuck_out_tongue: You’re right I should probably have put the topic in the firmware section but other than that my questions still stand as I’ve not been able to find a satisfactory answer to my questions in there.

Apparently, it wasn’t that obvious because here your question still is. What’s the point in having specific forums if people just post anywhere they please? This is a real problem not just here but in many other forums. I wasn’t trying to hurt your feelings, but since you did post this here it was reasonable to assume you did not know there was a dedicated firmware subforum, so I pointed you to it. If you looked it over and did not find an answer that is no excuse to have posted this in here instead of in there.

Miami_Son wrote:

wenneberg wrote:

Apparently, it wasn’t that obvious because here your question still is. What’s the point in having specific forums if people just post anywhere they please? This is a real problem not just here but in many other forums. I wasn’t trying to hurt your feelings, but since you did post this here it was reasonable to assume you did not know there was a dedicated firmware subforum, so I pointed you to it. If you looked it over and did not find an answer that is no excuse to have posted this in here instead of in there.

I put the post in the wrong forum yes - it was an honest mistake, I don’t know what you want from me Miami_Son but sorry about it! And you didn’t hurt anyone’s feelings I’m sure :slight_smile: but from your replies and reactions I feel I may have somehow hurt YOUR feelings, if so again I apologize! And as stated, it was an honest mistake and not done on purpose.

Now the purpose of my post, regardless of where I mistakedly put it, was to get help/advice, which I got and for that I’m greatful!

As to your observation of it being a “real” problem on other forums that people just post anywhere they please…I can’t say. On a personal note I believe there are larger issues to deal with in life with than taking offense in things like that myself, but clearly that doesn’t change the fact that I should have put my question in the firmware section in any case.

Again sorry if I offended you - and thanks again to the contributor that actually went to the trouble of helping me :smileyvery-happy:

Well, as long as we have an understanding. :wink: