WDTV live streaming from WDTV Live hub through network?

All the tutorials I see for WDTV Live network media access seem to have the folder setup on a windows pc - can the drive in the WDTV Livehub be used in the same way?

Summary:

WDTV Live Hub in one room attached to router - WDTV Live attached to router in another room - WDTV Live accessing the WDTV Livehub HDD through the router and playing files.

Anyone done this successfully? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello,

It is possible If they are both on the same network.

Check out page #29 “Network Share” of the user’s manual.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

Yes and many of us here do. I have an SMP and a LivePlus running media from a LiveHub. Works great. That’s why it is a “Live HUB”. It’s made to be able to serve other machines. My Hub aslo serves up media to my Nexus Pad and my Ipone.

Good luck

-P

Ok, my first post on this community so forgive me if I am in the wrong place.

I have two WDtv live devices on my home network and each have an external drive attached to them.

Named as follows:

WDTV LIVE 1 with 2TB external drive.

WDTV LIVE 2 with a 320GB external drive.

Now both devices can see each other on the network and the external drives attached to them. What my issue is if I am on WDTV LIVE 1 and connect to the WDTV LIVE 2 external drive to watch a movie it laods and starts to play but then freezes and then starts to jump and freeze again etc.  I presume it is down to the network but both devices are wired connections on network so what would be the cause and what would be the resolution ?

Many thanks for your replies in advance 

Depends on what the “brains” of your router are. That is - older routers are quite far from the upload/download limits of a 100Mbps Lan speed for example. That could be a possible problem. 

Many thanks for the reply. I was thinking of that. My setup is that WDLIVE1 is connected to the eircom router via ethernet and the WDLIVE2 is connected to the network via ethernet to a 5-Link Port and then to a TP Link AV500 (500 Mbps) Powerline adapter.

You might check the thru-put on the powerline link. House wiring isn’t perfect.  I use these same powerline devices in my home.  For one location where I wanted to put the unit I got less than 1MB/s transfer rate.  A movie would start and then quickly the audio would drop and the video would start/stop.  Unacceptable.  Another location (farther away actually) in the house got excellent speeds and streaming video to that SMP works without issue.