WDTV Live hub bad MPEG or MPEG-4 playback

I recently acquired a live hub.  

Playing back H264 files result in a great picture quality, but MPEG or MPEG-4 playback the video is poor, digital arctifacts all over the picture.  These files of course play fine on my WDTV live plus, and other media players as well as other computers.

The unit wasnt new but was still packaged like such, remote batteries never opened, still had protective plastic on edges of unit.  Warranty expired a year ago.  Firmware I upgraded to latest version, and this happens on HDMI, component and composite video, even after a factory reset.  Is the unit defective?

Hello, try pressing the reset button on the bottom side of the WDTV, you can also roll back to a previous firmware version to verify if the problem keeps happening. 

How to roll back the firmware on a WD TV Live Hub Media Center or WD TV Live Streaming Media Player 

I tried both the reset button, and several firmwares back to 2.06 and no difference. :frowning:

Tried different HDMI cables or another TV? You’ll probably get the same bad results but it would eliminate those possibilities.

It’s a bit odd … can you upload some small sample clips ? so we can test on our WDTV Live Hubs

that way, we can determine whether it’s your video files or your device that is causing the problem.