WDTV Live Hub: Media Library > Suggestion

Can the “Files” dashboard be excluded from the Media Library?  Yes, great to have the metadata for Video, Music, and Photo in the Media Library. However, this is information is not needed for files after all they are files.

Set firmware so when FILES (dashboard) is used then go to the source and build the folders displayed on the fly . Basicaly do what the system does now when media library is off but just for FILES. 

Problem I am trying to resolve.

version 2.02.16 being used

I should not have to plan ahead to watch a video from my PC over the network, which is what I have to do if media library is turned on.  Copying a video to a shared folder on the PC or NAS box for that matter and then hoping to view it using the wdtv live hub  requires the media library to be recompiled and this is not a fast process.   However, if Files (dashboard) were excluded from the media library then the software on the device should check my selected folder for the current content…

Tonight was a prime example.  I wanted to watch a movie.  Copied the movie to a folder, I then had to turn of the media library so I could locate the movie in order that I could stream it.  Before someone says I could copy it to the internal drive, that’s not quick either.  4 GB transfer would take fifteen minutes over the network to transfer.

Thanks.

The simple way to do this is to map a drive letter to the NAS - drag it over (4GB will not take 15 mins unless your on a really slow network) and when your ready to watch it, it will be there.

Thanks for the tip Ardvark.

Sorry it did not work.  I mapped a folder as shared drive and gave it a letter.  I recompiled my media libray on the wdtv live hub.  I copied a movie file to said “z” drive.   I accessed the Network Shares from the wdtv live hub, located folder and no new file.  

My first observavtion still stands once the “media library” is built it is not updated if new items are placed in folders on the Network Shares.  Only when I turn off the “media library” can I see NEW items in the Network Shares folders.

I am new to the wdtv live hub,   please advise if I am misisng a step along the way.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hopefully, someone from WD reads my suggestions and they are able to exclude “FILES” option on the dashboard from the media library, or update the media library so a folder can be updated upon request.

As for now I’ll keep the media library off.