WDTV Live Hub Media Center

Gig-E, 2.5" 1TB HDD, HDMI 1.4

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-media-center-1tb-wdbabz0010bbk-nesn-wdbabz0010bbk-nesn/10155309.aspx

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19341438#post19341438

1 Like

This looks great!! I was looking into buying the WD TV Live but then I realized it would be so much better if the player had an internal HD so that I won’t have to bother with streaming my media. I could just copy a file and play it directly on the player. I was planning on getting the Fusion HD, which I heard is a great player, since it supports internal SATA drives… but unfortunately it doesn’t have component. The Hub seems to solve all my problems. Too bad you have to buy a wireless USB dongle separately, internal wireless would be perfect, but oh well. That’s really the only downside.

Does anyone know when it’s coming out and how much it will be in the US?  

mzaur wrote:

Other than apparently soon, your guesses are as good as mine.:wink:   Unless BestBuy leaks it in the U.S. like they did up here, I think you’ll have to wait for whenever the official announcement from WD is made.

mzaur wrote:

My guess would be some time before the Christmas holidays, to give enough time for advertising and maximum awareness / sales.

Hopefully they’ll price it under $200, although given the expense of 2.5" 1TB drives, it might creep higher…

Also, on the Canadian BestBuy site it was around $230 CAD, which at todays exchange rate is pretty much $230 USD.

Not sure how accurate this is but I found this article  http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/10/1/wd-tv-live-hub-be-released/

It says that there will be two versions 1TB and 2TB and that release is schedule for late November.  

The reason why I question the accuracy of the article is because it claims that the Hub will have integrated wireless, but the BB Canada online listing (before it was taken down) says optional USB wireless adapter. 

I’ll just copy and paste from the AVSforum the specs, link is above if anyone wants to see pics.

Load up the high-capacity drive with all your media to create your own  personal media jukebox. With just a few clicks, you can play your home movies, share vacation slideshows, and play your music on the big screen and sound system in your living room.

* Access popular Internet content from the comfort of your living room via wired network connection
* Full HD 1080p video playback makes this Hub the perfect partner for your compatible HDTV
* Use the programmable remote control to make your entertainment choices using animated navigation menus
* Play almost any type of media file; the WD TV Live Hub supports a wide variety of the most popular file formats including HD camcorder video formats (no need to spend time transcoding)
* Store all your media on the  1TB hard drive , and the Live Hub finds and categorizes it all and displays it in one easy-to-view menu system
* Copy, move or delete files stored on a USB drive, a network drive, your camcorder, or a camera to the Live Hub built-in drive using the on-screen menus
* Stream any file on the WD TV Live Hub media center to a WD TV Live Plus or WD TV Live media player or any DLNA/UPnP compatible TV, Blu-ray Disc player, or game console
* Powerful enough to handle multiple streams so you can stream a movie in one room, while viewing photos on your TV upstairs
* Cool, quiet and ultra-compact design
* Supports a wireless network connection to your home network with an optional USB wireless adapter (sold separately)
*  HDMI 1.4 , composite video and component video output
* An optical audio output sends digital signals to your AV receiver for the best surround sound experience

mzaur wrote:

Not sure how accurate this is but I found this article  http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/10/1/wd-tv-live-hub-be-released/

Most of that article looks highly inaccurate. The specs posted on the AVS forums contradict most of his predictions, he’s simply making up stuff that sounds exciting.

I agree he made that up (or has very unreliable “Sources”), but his article predated the “Leak” by more than a week…

Looks like someone bought one up from BB US: WD Live TV Hub… - Engadget

EDIT: BB Canada :slight_smile:

Nope, Shadyman.

The AVS post has been updated.

Somebody printed out the BB.ca webpage before it was taken down and went into a store in Canada.  When they weren’t on the shelf, he got the BlueShirt to grab one out of the back.

Ah, Canada then. I’m just so used to seeing things from the US on Engadget :wink:

He does indeed post a screenshot of Edmonton, Alberta on his screenshot in the source thread.

I do notice that the “Netflix unlimited membership required. US Only” is as prominent as it is on the Live Plus boxes… but we’ve seen that apparently doesn’t count for much for the end consumer. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m excited for this player for the features. I’ve never owned a WD product. so as I check out the boards I’m kind of put off by WD as a company. It seems that they release buggy players and are quite slow to offer fixes (if they do offer fixes). Is that an unaccurate assesment? 

would have preferred a proper qwerty keyb like the one on the left of pic…esp for facebook n stuff

Glad I’ve just recently sold my WD TV Live via eBay UK.

If this had a qwerty keyboard and a web browser I would definetly go for it, but for now I’m still planning on pre-ordering a boxee box. I’ve got a 1TB usb drive that I used with the original WD TV.

mzaur wrote:

I’m excited for this player for the features. I’ve never owned a WD product. so as I check out the boards I’m kind of put off by WD as a company. It seems that they release buggy players and are quite slow to offer fixes (if they do offer fixes). Is that an unaccurate assesment? 

As with ANY new product I would not buy something until it has been out for a while and you have read various reviews and user comments about it.  WD has in general released products that do tend to work, but they are not a perfect company and the pressure of the marketplace can cause even a good company to make a major mistake (and a bad company to make a disaster – can you say “Popbox”?).

If you need something TODAY nothing is currently better than the Live/Plus.  Tomorrow or next week who knows?  (I do think the Boxee will be worth looking at when it’s been out a month or two).  Just do NOT make the mistake of buying something that does not do everything you want it to do, and do it right, in the hopes that a firmware update will “fix” things (because it may never come).

here is the google cached bestbuy page…

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EhrzUJDXzoQJ: www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-media-center-1tb-wdbabz0010bbk-nesn-wdbabz0010bbk-nesn/10155309.aspx+WDTV+Live+Hub+Media+Center&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

edit: nevermind it doesn’t seem to work when I post the link :frowning:

punchbuggy wrote:

here is the google cached bestbuy page…

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EhrzUJDXzoQJ: www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-media-center-1tb-wdbabz0010bbk-nesn-wdbabz0010bbk-nesn/10155309.aspx+WDTV+Live+Hub+Media+Center&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Not in my browser.

yeah I noticed it doesn’t work when you post the link.

all I did was google “WDTV Live Hub Media Center”

first result was from bestbuy click the link and it takes you too page not found…but if you instead clicked the “cached” link at the end of the result it’ll take you to the main page. where oddly enough you can buy it online.

There you go - your link was bit broken in the middle.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EhrzUJDXzoQJ:www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-media-center-1tb-wdbabz0010bbk-nesn-wdbab…

mzaur wrote:

I have had the WD Live Plus for about a month. For me, the box does what I want, but the unit has a lot of software bugs. I feel like a beta tester. If you don’t mind putting up with software bugs, there are workarounds for most of the problems. The Live Plus was released with 1.03.29_B software and so far there has only been one other beta software released (1.03.39_B). The beta software was released to address some Netflix problems, but it did not fix any of the other issues that I am having (the beta did not claim to fix anything else, so I wasn’t surprised).

To be fair, I should mention that some here do not have too many problems. It depends a lot on your particular hardware and whether or not the WD box is compatible with it.